Chapter 3 - His Fourth Vision

He was fourteen when he felt butterflies in his stomach for the first time. He never told anyone about it, and certainly, he wasn't proud of it. Not that he was ashamed of them, but he knew that his parents wouldn't understand, and Angie would only make fun of him. No one else was left to talk about it. Angie was his closest friend, and with his attitude about pack and shyness, it was difficult to find more.

It was the twelfth of March.

When he woke up that day, everything seemed normal. The weather was quite windy, but it was just an ordinary spring in North Hallson. It was actually a perfect day for a long run in the wolf's body. With that thought in his mind, Evan got up and quickly started to dress. He hasn't shape-shifted in two weeks, and his body was trembling even at the thought of it. When he ran, his thoughts seemed to disappear, replaced by the baser instincts of a predator. And that's exactly what he needed now.

He grabbed a black jacket from a chair nearby for later and headed downstairs. On his way, he heard his mom doing something in the kitchen, but he didn't care. Everything he could think about was the forest behind their house. At least something in Evan's life worked out. What could be better for the young wolf than his own place to shape-shift every time he wanted? Kinda ironic that he waited for weeks to do it.

Quickly he walked into the bushes and started to undress. It was routine by now, and he couldn't care less about feeling exposed. It didn't last long, and his body became furrier, his legs transformed into paws, and his senses became stronger. Evan was his true self. A predator. A happy predator, to be specific.

He started running, adding to speed as much as he could. Faster and faster until he couldn't see his house anymore. See, happiness has a smell. And the scent is wild air. The air in this forest, the sound of a stream nearby, the chirping of birds - it all could make him the happiest in the world. In a world where his mom's screams were replaced by silence, where the rumours about his cousin disappeared, where Evan could finally feel at peace.

He ran and ran until suddenly something happened. His surroundings have changed. He didn't understand at first, but then it hit him. It wasn't his point of view he was seeing. He saw a forest similar to the one he was currently in. His sight was sharper and more focused, so his mate must be also in his wolf form. He was running, but then suddenly a rabbit crossed his way, and he stopped. Evan was waiting for his next move. He fully expected him to scare the poor animal or worse, eat it raw, but none of it happened. His mate bowed his head and bumped into the rabbit with his nose. The rabbit was petrified with fear, so this big bad wolf playfully licked him. And that's when his vision stopped.

Evan couldn't believe it had happened again. He and his mate were in the same situation once again. He could no longer claim that it was just a coincidence.

Thoughts were racing in his head. He couldn't stop thinking about how gentle and kind this wolf was. He wanted to smack his face as soon as that thought crossed his mind. Gentle? Kind? He didn't want to think about his mate like that! He was supposed to be this disgusting soccer player, jock even, with his only concern to be popular and boyish enough. He couldn't imagine him as nice or friendly, that was too close to be a possible love object. And as he promised, his mate would never be a male. Screw the butterflies, screw the soulmates. He knew that nothing like that was acceptable in his family. Even if his mate was a wolf. Why should he have a better fate than Riley?