Chapter 43 - Secrets Never Last Long - Part 1

Evan was quiet. He was quiet when he went back inside. He was quiet when his friends asked him if everything was okay. And he was quiet when they arrived back at Lola's.

"Everything okay, E?" He almost overheard Lola's question, but he didn't want to cause her unnecessary worry. Well, more worries.

"Just tired," he uttered those two words in almost a whisper. He saw that Lola still had a worried look on her face, but she didn't ask any more questions. She was giving him space, and he was glad for that.

"I left a towel on the couch for you if you wanted to take a shower." He just nodded silently.

A shower couldn't hurt as he was still sweaty and sticky and couldn't wait to get out of these clothes.

When he walked into the living room, he found Rory spreading out the blankets for the both of them. Without a word, he joined him and began to help. Rory was also quiet. He obviously had his issues too, and maybe he was just wondering if it was a good idea to confide in Evan. After all, they did not return to their topic of the supernatural later.

...

In the morning, or rather in the afternoon when Evan woke up, he felt even worse. He felt like shit. His head ached despite the wolf's healing abilities, the inside of his mouth felt like the Sahara, and his conscience was blacker than the night before.

"Morning," came the voice next to him, and he realized Rory was still next to him. Obviously, he wasn't feeling his best either, but in his case, it was mainly fatigue.

"Morning," he answered. If he was in a better mood, he would probably joke and reply with Afternoon or something. But Evan didn't feel like joking.

"How's your head?" Rory asked him and sat up. Evan repeated his action, pulling the covers closer as the cold shook him.

"Hurt like a bitch," he admitted. Rory chuckled, and Evan gave him a surprised look to which he just shrugged.

"Do you remember what you told me yesterday?" he asked him suddenly, and Evan was left confused. Rory had been the one to talk to him about the supernatural, but it seemed like the question was more appropriate for Evan, and he had no idea why.

"What?"

"You're gonna have fun even if I have to suck you off," he reminded him with a laugh, and Evan groaned. Now, when he said that, he vaguely remembered saying something like that. Apparently, he paid attention to literally nothing last night. Neither to how he behaved, nor what he said, and he didn't notice his surroundings at all. Could he have been any more stupid?

"Never drinking again," he declared.

"Nah, it's kinda cute when you turn into a mama bear." Rory flashed him another bright smile.

"I'm pretty sure that mom that offers you sucking off is actually a stepmom," he joked.

"At least you didn't get stuck in the washing machine," Rory answered with the same level of playfulness, and they both laughed.

When their laughter subsided, Evan snapped back to reality.

"Do you think the girls are up yet?" He placed one foot on the ground, preparing to leave the makeshift bed.

"Dunno," he answered but then added, "I think if they were, they would already be there."

"True."

Nevertheless, Evan stood up and stretched himself as much as possible. Both his head and stomach protested, but he tried to ignore it. He couldn't stay in bed all day, or in this case on the couch. He would needlessly get lost in thought and that was the last thing he needed.