Chapter Thirty-Two

Sawyer sighed as he walked towards the house, dragging his tired body along. The last three years, he had relentlessly worked on Veracruz Farms and had helped Antonio earn huge profits with which he could pay off his debt. After the last installment of the debt had been paid off in the morning, Sawyer felt relieved. He was now a free man. The promise that he had made to his mom had been fulfilled, and he wasn't obligated to stay in Mexico any longer.

However, his body hadn't been cooperating with him for the last ten days. He had been feeling excessively weak and unable to carry on any longer. Yet he had forced himself without giving up. Now that his work was completed, his duty fulfilled, he sagged into his bed and closed his eyes.

Thoughts of Renée invaded his mind, making his eyes fill up with unshed tears. After that night when he learned about her forthcoming wedding to Matt, he hadn't once checked their social media for fear of seeing her wedding photographs. He wouldn't be able to live after seeing them. Since then, he had been living like a man whose soul had been wrenched out of his body. He knew he should be glad for her since she had chosen the more deserving man, but he was feeling low and couldn't feel happy for her. A strange restlessness had filled his whole body now that he was free from his obligations.

He closed his eyes and felt his head spin again, like it had been happening every day. He had been neglecting himself for the last three years, overworking himself to the extreme limit to stop thoughts of Renée out of his mind. And now his body refused to dance to his wishes. It had started revolting.

His mom came into his room. "What's wrong, Sawyer? You didn't come to dinner?" The twins had grown up and had started going to school. His mom was completely normal now, and so was Antonio.

"Yeah, I'm a little exhausted. I think I'll go to sleep." Antonio came into the room too to check up on him. They had been noticing him for the last few days. He didn't look too well.

"You can't go to sleep on an empty stomach. You'll fall sick," said Antonio, but Sawyer was already breathing hard. His eyes were red and droopy, as if they would shut any minute. His muscles had disappeared, and he had reduced considerable weight. They watched his thin body lying on the bed, refusing to cooperate.

"Is there something wrong with you? I've been noticing that you aren't eating well," said his mom, sitting on the bed beside him.

"Yeah, I too noticed it, Sawyer. Now that the debt has been paid off, you should be happy and relaxed," said Antonio. Sawyer looked up at them and then at his mom. It was now or never. He had to tell them he had fulfilled his promise to them and wanted to leave.

He looked at his mom. "Mom, the debt has been paid off. You asked me to help Antonio. I've done my best to help him. I've fulfilled my promise to you. Please release me now. I need to go back to Montana," he pleaded as a few teardrops fell from his eyes, trickling down to the bed. His mom stared at him with concern. She hadn't thought that he wanted to go back to Montana so badly. Antonio looked at his wife with confusion.

"Lara, did you force him to stay back for us?" he asked her. His mom nodded.

Sawyer joined his hands towards his mom as if begging her to release him. "Please mom, give me permission to go. Free me please. I need to see my Renée. I love her," he pleaded with folded hands. His mom's eyes filled with tears. She caught his hands in his.

"Of course you can go, son. You've done your duty. I'm sorry that I selfishly kept you away from the girl you love. I didn't know, Sawyer. Forgive me please," said his mom, but Sawyer's hand drooped and he lost consciousness.

"Sawyer? What happened to him, Antonio? He just isn't responding," asked his mom in panic. Antonio touched his cheeks.

"My God! He's burning with fever. I'll call the doctor," said Antonio. He took out his phone and went out to call the doctor. Lara picked up Sawyer's phone and checked his contact numbers. There were only two numbers: one was listed under the name 'dad' and the other was Renée. She realized that this was the girl that Sawyer was talking about.

She saved the two numbers into her own mobile and then called the number marked 'dad'. After a few rings, a male voice answered the call.

"Hello, Kevin Wilson speaking. How may I help you?" said the voice. Lara realized she had called Sawyer's father, the man who had adopted him.

"I'm calling from Veracruz Farms, Mexico. Do you have a son called Sawyer Wilson?" she asked. There was a deafening silence for a few seconds at the other end.

"Yes, I have. Do you know him? He has been missing for the last five years. Have you seen him? Where did you get my number?" said Kevin Wilson in a desperate tone full of concern. Lara could feel how worried he actually was.

"It's a long story, Mr. Wilson. Yes, he's with me at my house. I'm his mom, the one who left him on the banks of Bearhead Creek, twenty-eight years ago. I found your number on his new mobile phone. He isn't well at the moment, so please could you come to Mexico to take him home? I'll text you the address," said Lara.

"Wait, wait, are you trying to tell me you're his actual mother?" asked Kevin Wilson. "How did you find Sawyer?" he asked, completely puzzled by what she told him.

"Yes, I'm his real mom. I'll tell you everything when you get here. Right now, I'll just need to look after Sawyer," said Lara.

"You can tell me the address, please. I'll jot it down," said Kevin Wilson. He wasn't taking a risk. What if the woman changed her mind and did not send him the address? Lara dictated her address to him and he noted it down. Afterwards, she disconnected the call. The doctor came in to check on Sawyer. Apparently, he was given medicines and his blood was taken for testing.

"Only after the reports come in can we start proper treatment," said the doctor. After he left, Lara turned towards her husband.

"I've called Kevin Wilson, Sawyer's father, to come and take him home to Fordsville. I had no idea that he had a girl waiting for him back at home," said Lara, feeling bad for her son.

Antonio nodded. "Yeah, I'm feeling guilty too. I think we need to compensate him for our carelessness," said Antonio.

"Can we put some money into his account for all the hard work that he has done for us? He has sacrificed a lot for us," said his mom. Antonio nodded. He would do just that. He would get his bank account details and transfer some money as a gift from a father to his son.

Wildcreek Ranch, Fordsville

Adelaide had returned home a few days back, and Rhett was on top of the world. His and Adelaide's wedding was immediately fixed to be held two weeks later. The whole ranch was alive with wedding preparations and pre- wedding celebrations. Rex found the green-eyed girl he had been searching for. She turned out to be Ember, who was Adelaide's friend and colleague at the hospital where they worked together.

It was Adelaide's bridal shower party and everyone enjoyed after a long time. The party went on till ten o'clock at night. Afterwards, the guests left, and the women returned home to see everyone sitting in the living room, with tensed faces.

"What happened?" asked aunt Katherine.

"We've found Sawyer. He's in Mexico. He isn't well. Dad, Keith and I are going tomorrow morning to bring him home," said her husband with a grave face. Aunt Kathy's eyes filled with tears of happiness.

"Is he serious? What happened to him? How did he reach Mexico? How did you find out about him?" asked his wife, unable to contain her happiness. Kevin Wilson told them about the phone call he had just received.

A sob escaped aunt Katherine's mouth while Renée ran to her room. Closing the door, she sank down to the floor as uncontrollable tears shook her whole body, refusing to stop. Despite so many years, she hadn't given up hope and had still waited for him to return. Now that he was really returning, her whole body filled up with a sudden anger. Why didn't he think it necessary to inform her even once about his whereabouts? How could he stay away for five years? Didn't he once miss her like she had missed him? She was dying to get answers to all her questions. She couldn't wait for the next day!