Chapter One

Renée shook her head. She wouldn't hug him. She was angry with him for not coming home on her birthday. Sawyer watched her, wanting to groan out loud and simply pull her into his arms.

"C'mon Ren. I'm waiting," he reminded her softly.

"No, I won't hug you. Why didn't you come to my birthday? I waited for you the whole day," she whispered, almost to herself, but Sawyer heard her distinctly. He felt like a criminal being punished in a court of law!

"I'm sorry. Now, can you give me a hug, please?" Renée nodded shyly and wrapped her arms around his neck, and hugged him. Sawyer released the breath that he was holding and pulled her close to him. A groan escaped his mouth. At last she was in his arms and it felt like heaven! If he had the choice, he'd never let her go. He could hold her like this forever!

"I know I'm late but, happy birthday Ren!" he breathed into her hair. Her hold on him tightened as she just clung onto him, refusing to let him go. One of his arms released her and delved into the pocket of his jeans. He fished out a small pouch from his pocket and held it out to her. "I got this for you. Won't you see it?"

An ecstatic Renée released him and looked at what he was holding out for her. She picked the pouch like an excited child who had unearthed some treasure. Opening it, she gasped, seeing a silver ring inside. It had her name engraved with a small pearl embedded in the middle.

"Is this my birthday gift?" she asked in disbelief. Sawyer nodded.

"Yes. I worked part time for the last six months after college to earn enough to buy it for you." He took the ring from her fingers and placed it on her middle finger, but she pulled it off and placed it on her ring finger.

"I love it. Thank you Sawyer. Is it an engagement ring?" she asked excitedly. Sawyer gaped at her.

"You want to be engaged to me?" He held his breath with excitement.

"Yes, obviously." He didn't miss the two bright spots that appeared on her cheeks.

"Why?" With his heart pounding inside his ribcage, he was sure she could hear it.

"As if you don't know it already, but if you want me to spell it for you, I'll gladly do so. It is because I love you, Sawyer. Not like the cousin kind of love. I'm in love with you, I always have been. It will never change." Sawyer's mouth hung open at her words, at the sincerity that he saw in her eyes. He had known that she adored him, but love? Was he ready to have a relationship with the granddaughter of a man who had done everything for him? He couldn't deceive Joe Wilson, he couldn't betray his trust. He had to stop this madness here and now.

"Ren, you're very young. I'm sure that the crush that you have on me will go away with time. You deserve someone better than me. I don't feel the same for you and I never will. This ring isn't an engagement ring as you think it is. It's just a thing I liked at the shop and the only thing that I could afford," said Sawyer, although it was only the half truth.

He didn't like the other stuff that he could afford, so he spent all his earnings and his savings to have this especially made for her. But he couldn't give her hope, so he had to hide that from her. He couldn't tell her how precious she was to him. Renée's face paled at his cruel rejection. Her heart shattered into a million pieces all around her. She smiled with difficulty, with tears in her eyes.

"Do you think this is a crush that I'll easily forget?" she asked, her voice cracking with the hurt that choked her entire throat.

"Please, Renée, trust me. You will feel differently ten years later as you grow and mature," he explained with desperation. "Let's go home. It's late already. I don't want a grizzly attacking us." Renée noticed the way he used her full name. She knew he did it only when he was angry or upset with her.