Chapter Five

It was dinnertime and Sawyer got up slowly to join the others at the table, but he didn't have the strength to walk. His fever was coming back with full force and he didn't have any appetite.

"Where are you off to?" asked Renée, coming into his room with a tray of food. Sawyer looked at her with tired eyes. Ever since she had left, he had missed her cool touch on his forehead. He wanted to rest his head on her lap, cuddle up to her, but it seemed he was doomed to be all alone.

"I'm not hungry." Renée ignored his protests and placed his food on the table.

"You have to. Let me check your temperature." She placed her hand over his forehead. It was still hot and his eyes looked watery. She was about to get the thermometer when he grabbed her hand.

"Just stay with me." Renée shook her head.

"I won't stay if you don't eat Sawyer."

"Okay then, feed me." Renée hid the smile, wanting to break free. She got up to get the tray of chicken soup and bread and fed him a bite.

"How's it? I made it for you." Sawyer's eyes widened upon hearing it.

"You know I'll eat anything you make. I love everything you cook just like...," before he could complete the sentence, his mom rushed into the room. Renée felt very frustrated at the interruption. What was he about to say? She kept imagining, trying to complete his sentence in her mind, but gave up eventually when she couldn't.

"Saw, I think you need to see a doctor," she said with a worried expression on her face. Sawyer groaned.

"Please ma, I'm already better. As it is, Ren is forcefully feeding me, see? I don't need a doctor, I beg of you. Have mercy, ma." His mom chuckled, seeing Renée's sweet gesture. With that girl around, she didn't need to bother much about Sawyer. They looked so cute together!

"Fine then. Renée, I'll get some water and a cloth for a compress." Renée nodded.

"Yes, aunt Kathy. That'll reduce his temperature. He wouldn't let me get a thermometer."

"Do you need one? I can get it," said aunt Katherine,

"Yes, please," said Renée. Sawyer gave the two of them a hopeless look.

"Hello, I'm right here. I don't need a thermometer or a compress!"

"Fine, have it your way. I'm going. I won't come here then, stay alone," said Renée, getting up.

"Stop, stop. Okay, do what you want to do." His mom chuckled at seeing the two of them. She immediately started plotting and planning different things.

"Open you mouth wide, Sawyer. This is the last spoonful." Sawyer obliged, powerless to do anything else, actually. Quite satisfied with herself, she got up, but he grasped her arm in a tight hold.

"What now Ren? Where are you off to? You promised to stay if I listened to you." Renée rolled her eyes.

"I'm just keeping the tray back on your table and getting your medicine, Sawyer." He left her grumbling about not needing any medicine. Renée smiled at his antics. She liked the sick Sawyer better than the normal Sawyer who overworked himself and ignored her. This sick Sawyer was so needy! Needy for her. Coming back to him, she was just giving him his medicine when his mom came inside. She looked quite satisfied seeing his empty soup bowl and the plate. Sawyer swallowed his pill with a groan.

"Amazing!" said his mom, looking quite impressed. "Here's the compress, dear, and the thermometer." She handed Renée everything she needed.

"Thank you, aunt Kathy."