Chapter Seven

After spending a bad day at college, Renée sat on the bleachers watching her brothers practice their game. Sawyer hadn't come to fetch her home, and she had no other option than to wait for them to complete their game. Their teammates were trying to show off more than they should and the practice game started heating up, stretching longer than usual. She was about to die of hunger and boredom when a soft voice spoke near her.

"Ren c'mon, I'll take you home." She knew that voice. It was Sawyer's. She turned to see him standing beside her, wearing the same clothes as he was in the morning. He looked exhausted as if he had rushed here.

"Sawyer? I thought you weren't coming. You're twenty minutes late!"

"I know. I had to go to deliver a few horses at a ranch near San Antonio. In fact, I'm coming directly from there."

"Oh, but you shouldn't have Sawyer. You just recovered from a fever. You could have asked Rex to do it instead."

"I can't break my promise to you, Ren." He grabbed her hand and pulled her with him.

"Renée, leaving already?" yelled Ryan.

"Yeah, see you later," she yelled back. "Sawyer, stop pulling me. What's the hurry?" She ran alongside him, trying hard to keep up.

"I'm not feeling too well. The fever's coming back." Renée was worried.

"Oh, I knew it. You should have gone home then, Sawyer." All her anger and resolution to stay away from him crumbled to dust.

"I had to come to take you home. I couldn't let you wait for two hours here on the bleachers with those guys watching you like hawks." Renée smiled at his possessiveness. He was sugary sweet when he was sick!

"I could almost mistake that thought for jealousy."

"Yes, you're right. I am jealous." He opened the door for her while Renée's smile widened with glee. What was the logic behind this? Why did he become so sweet when he was sick?

"Why?" she asked with a permanent smile pasted on her face. He started his truck and started driving home.

"I don't know," he mumbled, looking uncomfortable. Renée sat with a smug expression on her face.

"No ice cream treat since you're sick. We will go straight home and I'll make you my soup. I promise I'll make an edible one this time."

"I don't mind. You can make anything as long as you feed it to me." Renée noticed his flushed face and his watery eyes with concern.

"Are you sure that you can drive us home? You're looking more sick than before, Sawyer."

"Don't worry. We'll reach home safely." For the rest of the drive, he remained silent. Renée was worried, but to her relief, they reached Wild Creek Ranch safely. She walked inside with him as he went to his bedroom.

"Saw? Oh my God! I'll call Doctor Morgan immediately. I told you not to go to San Antonio today," scolded his mom. Sawyer looked guilty and didn't say a thing as his mom picked up her mobile phone to call the doctor.

Renée went to the kitchen to make something light for him. Her aunt Ruth was already there, and she helped her make a delicious meal for Sawyer. Renée placed them on a tray along with his medicines and went towards his room.

He had freshened up and was lying in a pair of sweatpants and a white tee shirt. "Get up Sawyer. You need to eat and take your medicine. The doctor's on his way."

He sat up but picked up a spoonful of chicken stew and rice and fed it to her instead. Renée was surprised as she chewed the food. She had thought that he was eating it himself, but he fed her.