Chapter Twenty-Eight

It was evening when Sawyer woke up. The sun had set and he could hear voices echoing from his mom's room. Looking at his wristwatch, he realized he had slept for nearly five hours! He got up, freshened up, and went to his mom's room.

A doctor had arrived who was busy checking his mom. Antonio and Carlos were waiting at the foot of the bed, watching with worried expressions on their faces.

"What happened, Antonio?" asked Sawyer, looking at everyone with concern.

"Lara had an anxiety attack in her sleep. She was already suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, along with heart and pressure problems arising out of anxiety and stress. We couldn't wake her up from sleep, so we had to summon Dr. Ferrer," said Antonio in a whisper.

"Is she okay now?" asked Sawyer, seeing her mom look blankly at everyone.

"No, she still hasn't recovered. We might have to admit her to the hospital again," said Antonio. Sawyer was too worried that she might have deteriorated because of him.

"Did mom's condition worsen because of me?"

"No, son. Whenever she remembers those years of torture, she gets these attacks. They worsen with time and we have to get her admitted for psychiatric treatment. That pendant you wear might have reminded her of Romano," said Antonio. Sawyer agreed and felt guilty for not taking it off before coming to meet his mom.

"I should have taken it off before coming here." He felt bad about causing his mom's anxiety attack.

"Then she wouldn't have recognized you, son," Antonio pointed out. He was right. It was because of the pendant that his mom had recognized him.

The doctor got up and came towards them. "I'm sorry, Mr. Cruz, you will need to admit her. I can't revive her here," said the doctor.

"Can't we talk to her? Maybe it'll help?" asked Sawyer, hopefully.

The doctor looked at him with curiosity. "I've never seen you here before?" he asked Sawyer.

"I'm her son, Sawyer Wilson," Sawyer explained, extending his hand for a shake. The doctor's eyes sparkled with hope as he shook his hands with him.

"Right then. You can try talking to her. It might work," he said, hopefully. "Although, even during her attacks, Antonio is the only person she responds to, but this time she didn't wake up even after he tried," informed the doctor. Antonio and Sawyer walked towards Lara while Carlos led the doctor outside to give them privacy.

"Just call me if things go out of hand," said the doctor. Antonio nodded, and they closed the door after going outside.

"Lara, it's me, your Antonio. Can you see me? You know I love you very much, right? Won't you talk to me?" asked Antonio softly, his warm hands touching her face gently, stroking her hair like a child's. Lara stared at him wordlessly.

"You're safe. You're at home with me. Can you see where you are? In our room. I'll not let anything happen to you, Lara. You're safe here. I'll protect you with my life," he said to her, stroking her cheek and hair. Sawyer watched, hypnotized. There was a lot of power in true love. It could do wonders, he had heard. Today he could witness it too.

"Wake up and see your Antonio. Look at me, talk to me. I've come back from work. Won't you have your dinner with me? I can't eat without you, Lara. You know that, don't you?" Lara closed her eyes and nodded. Sawyer heaved a sigh of relief. He was dumbstruck by the deep love that Antonio and his mom shared. It was a selfless love, very different from what other couples have between them. Antonio had selflessly given up nearly eleven years of his life for Lara.