3. running too fast

I wake up with my head pounding and covers on the floor next to me. I sit up and stretch, then reach over and turn on my phone, revealing that I am in fact running late. I stand up so quick I loose my vision for a couple seconds, then sprint to my window and peer out. 

I see mom and dad standing behind the family van with the trunk popped as they work together to shove a bag into it. Dad is in his work clothes having just returned from his bike shop. I run downstairs, disregarding the fact that I'm in the shortest short to ever be and a sports bra. 

I run outside on the cool, dewy grass, the august sun burning down on the 3 of us. Wet puddles turn the side walk dark grey, and Dad leans on the warm red of the car's hood. Mom is head first in the trunk, only legs visible. 

"Mom?" I snicker, walked over to where the two stand. 

Mom pops back out of the trunk and smiles at me, curls frizzin around her small face, flannel unbuttoned at the top, "Hey Av. You better get ready. You gotta get on the road within the hour if you want to make it your orientation on time."

Dad walks up behind me, "I remember your kindergarten orientation. You were so nervous, you walked up, said hello to your teachers, and yacked on their fancy shoes."

I make a face at him, conveying my annoyance that he brought up that lovely memory. He laughs, wiping the car with a rag. Besides me and his motorcycle, the family fan is his third child. He makes sure it always sparkles. 

I run inside, hopping up onto the kitchen island, left hand gripping the black leather of the stool, right reaching for a banana. I usually would opt for something a little less..less, but I am in a very big hurry. 

I eat the banana in record time before running upstairs, tearing my closet apart. I land on a grey tube top with white design, big chunky brown belt, and jean shorts, barely shorter than the prior pajama ones. I slide on some big combat boots and tease my heart up into a big fluffy mess, just how I like it. My phone chimes with texts from Loretta, letting me know she's leaving now. 

Oh my God. Loretta being more  time efficient than me. Am I dead? This can't be. 

I sit down at my vanity station, and throw on some make up, not really caring about anything other than getting out the door. 

I run downstairs and out the front door, letting it loudly sling shut behind me. I give my parents the most rushed goodbye kisses and a quick princess wave before zig-zagging past the family van to get to my tiny little beetle. I jump in, adjust my mirror, and start 'er up. 

I blast some music, and tell Siri to text Loretta that I'm on my way. 

Going to university  in New York City was never something I planned. 

I thought I'd skip university all together and find some jackpot shortcut, cutting past all the hardships of the journey and being pushed right to the destination, but that's not how life works. 

I did however take a gap year, which was also not in the blueprint, but it ended up being a good decision, as it gave me time to cool off fromt he excitement of graduation (which I barely did) and make a clear-minded decision. 

Which was to go to university in New York city for Criminal Justice and hope to be a world-renound and go-to detective for cold cases in a few years time. I only chose the school I did because Loretta started there 2 years back, then so did most of our friendgroup, and whatever Loretta does, I do. She's a bad influence usually, but an influence nonetheless.