Chapter 35

The grand ballroom was a spectacle of opulence, bathed in a soft, ethereal glow. Crystal chandeliers hung from the high ceilings, casting shimmering reflections on the polished marble floor. The air was filled with the mingling scents of exotic flowers, expensive perfume, and tantalizing gourmet dishes. A string quartet played a soothing melody, the soft strains of music weaving a sense of enchantment in the air. Everywhere she looked, Rylee saw people adorned in exquisite gowns and sharp tuxedos, their laughter and chatter creating a symphony of sounds that added to the gala's lively atmosphere.

At the heart of it all, Rylee, Henrie, and their family were seated at a large round table, draped in white linen and adorned with a centerpiece of blooming roses. They were a picture of elegance and grace, their radiant smiles reflecting their shared joy and anticipation. However, this serene tableau was soon to be interrupted.

As Andre's gaze met with his mother's, he was taken aback. This was the woman who had given him life, her image was different from what he had crafted in his mind. He waited for her to approach him, but when she didn't, he was left with the thought that perhaps she wasn't ready to mend their broken relationship.

Blair and Cleo, having observed the situation, turned to him. "Andre, she's been terrified of this moment, scared you would despise her for her past mistakes," Blair said, the sincerity in her voice palpable. "She takes immense pride in the man you've become and she's elated that we're all reconnecting. We've gained a brother in you."

Andre sighed, his gaze lingering on his mother. "I only hope she's ready to move forward. We've lost enough years to this divide. It's time we put an end to it," he said, his tone hinting at a deep-seated hope for reconciliation.

"Mom," Henrie started, his voice a soft whisper. He reached out, gently placing his hand over hers. "It's okay."

Rylee echoed his sentiments, her voice a soothing balm. "We're all here with you, Meredith. Andre is a wonderful man, and he'll be so happy to meet you."

With a deep breath, Meredith nodded, wiping away her tears. She thanked them for their support and walked back into the ballroom, her heart pounding in her chest. As she approached Andre and his father, she felt a rush of emotions. The boy she had given away was now a man, a spitting image of his father, her first love, a true testament to the love they had once shared.

She couldn't help it. Tears streamed down her face as she reached out, a quivering hand extended towards her son. "Andre," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "My beautiful boy."

Her knees buckled, and she sunk to the floor, overcome by her emotions. Andre rushed to her side, confusion etched on his face. But Meredith could only sob, her heart aching with regret and sorrow.

"All these years... all the years I wasted... I'm so sorry, Andre," she cried, her words interspersed with sobs. "I let hate... I let it invade my heart." She clutched at his hand, her grip desperate and pleading. "I am so proud of the man you've become. You're more than I ever could have imagined, my boy."

Her voice broke, her words barely a whisper. "I wish I could have been there, could have watched you grow up. I wish I could have been your mother. I wish I had known you."

Tears streamed down her face, her body shaking with sobs. "I'm so sorry, Andre," she repeated, her voice a broken whisper. "I'm so sorry I gave you away."

"Andre gently took his mother's hands in his own, his voice steady and soothing. " It's okay. Look at me, I turned out just fine," he said, his eyes filled with understanding. "You shouldn't blame yourself for the decisions that were made, it was a different time, a different circumstance. I know your father's actions cut you deep and lingered with you for years."