CHAPTER 29

"I have an offer for you Cedric, you don't have to give me an answer right now. I'll give you time just like I did before," she said with a bright smile.

"Your Highness," brother kept staring at the floor while talking, "Why are you giving Davinia so many offers?"

I looked at brother at once. The Empress also looked puzzled at his question.

"But I haven't yet told you what kind of offer I have,"

"Yes. But why Davinia? You already said the main reason you wished Prince Mikhail to have friends is for his health. Any other kid can also help him. Then why do you keep focusing on Davinia only?"

"That's because..........," she stopped while talking, it looked as if she didn't had the answer herself, "Other kids won't be able to withstand Mikhail's temper and William told me you kept worrying about Davinia because she doesn't act her age and is too mature. So I thought she might be the perfect match and look I was right."

Brother didn't said anything.

"If you are not interested in my offer, I won't be forcing you Cedric. I know things are not so easy for you right now, but I didn't had any ill intention in my mind. I'll let you know about the rest through a letter. You both can go now."

At the carriage:

Brother looked worried. What is he so tensed about? It doesn't even seem like before. Is there anything I'm missing out. Even if I am, there isn't anyone I can ask anyway ........ Wait should I talk to brother Henry?

I kept looking through the window of the carriage as I came back home. I don't want to pressure brother about anything else when he is already going through so much after father's sudden death.

Back at the Ducal Palace:

"Brother it's Davinia. Can I come?"

"You may." I came inside. Brother Henry looks dull at my visit. After all it's first time I came to talk to him alone. Even if we don't hate each other, we don't share that much close bonding also.

"I expected your visit sooner or later," said brother Henry.

I'm confused. Why would he expect my visit? "Why?" I asked curiously.

"Because your personality wouldn't let you disturb brother Cedric for mere curiosities nor you have anyone else to talk about it."

"So you know about my curiosities?"

"I guess I do. But it's better if you tell by yourself."

"Why does the Empress keep wanting me to stay with the Prince and why is brother Cedric so against it?"

"Davinia, I don't know if I could say this to any other 6 years old, but because it's you I'll tell," he closed his eyes for a moment then he again started speaking, "take a seat. You know when father was alive our situation were much different but after his dismiss it has heavily changed.

You remember I once mentioned that our grandfather might want to make one of his other son the successor after father."

"Yes. I do," I replied.

"Well I was wrong. It turns out he had a different plan. Do you know Davinia, Katrina always had one insecurity despite excelling everything. It was her birth that She was an illegitimate child."

I was shocked. I knew sister never talked much despite her brilliance but never knew she was insecure about such a thing

He continued, "But at the end father died unmarried leaving all 13 of us. And because he didn't had any legitimate child brother Cedric, as the eldest son became his heir without any of our protest. But now things aren't like before."

Author's Note:  What is happening? What do you guys think.
Don't forget to vote⭐ the chapter.