Chapter 7

Tuesday, October 9

"Hello?"

"Who is this?"

"Don't be a dumbass, Jaxon. It's Imogen."

"I don't particularly care for your tone."

"Jaxon! Stop playing around, you owe me!"

"I'm across the hall. I'll be over in a second." And just like that there's a knock at Mikey door. I get off the couch where I was laying down to open the door.

"Come in," I say. He walks in looking confused and kind of amused. I guess it's funny that I'm so anxious right now. I really want to tell him about my special amazing idea that I just thought of while I was eating a delicious homemade BLT. "So, I saw an add on the tv."

He sits down on the couch and I follow his actions resting my legs on his laps. He fingers are drumming against my leg as he motions for me continue. "Yes?"

"Well, it was for a - like a snazzy restaurant."

"I hate to tell you this, Imogen, but I don't do snazzy and uptight places." His fingers continue drumming but I ignore it.

I roll my eyes at him. "Whatever."

"What do you want?" he questions knowing there's more to it. And there is more to it, I just don't know how to ask this of him.

"Well, I was thinking. We could go to the restaurant and see what all the hype is about."

Jaxon shifts on the couch so that we're facing each other. He grins at me mischievously and I prepare myself for the goofy comment he's about to make. "Just the two of us?"

I scoff and cross my legs. "Hell no. Mikey would come, of course."

"And I can invite Alex and Wyatt right? I have to invite my brothers."

"They're your brothers?" I ask. They look nothing alike, they can't be brothers. Although, I do remember Wyatt saying that Kyle is his brother.

"Not by blood, Imogen," he states and I sense that he's upset. He hasn't called me shorty once which is weird. Over the phone he was joking around with me but now I can see that he was just pretending.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask.

"Nothing, I had to work late last night, I'm tired. I actually have to leave now but we'll talk later about the restaurant thing," he says moving my legs off of him to stand up. He's suddenly cold and closed off.

"Wait, Jaxon," I say. "I don't like the way you're acting."

"Look," he says as I stand up. I have to lift my head just to look at him. "If you see Kyle anything he says to you is a lie." He turns to walk away and I follow him to the door.

What? How dare he just say something like that and then try to walk away. "Jaxon!" I yell. "You can tell me if something's wrong. I'm your friend."

"Just do me a favor and leave me alone. Don't bother calling me either," he mumbles. He opens the door and makes sure to slam the door closed behind him.

What the hell just happened?

^^^

"Kyle! Kyle! I need your help!"

"Get away from my door... right. now!"

"I just want to ask you one question," I say trying to make my voice sound small and vulnerable. It works because the door opens and Kyle stands in front of me with a scowl on his face.