Chapter 53 - Swallow your pride

Trigger warning!
The following chapter contains content related to the following potential triggers:
(domestic) violence, violence among youths, bullying
If any of these sensitive themes would not sit well with you at the moment, please refrain from reading this chapter further.

Sebastian couldn't stop marveling as Phina enthusiastically recounted to him at the start of the new school week how Ominis had driven away the Dementor with a perfect Patronus Charm on their way back from the birthday party to Hogwarts. 

Ominis stood somewhat bashfully beside her, but a faint smile on his lips revealed that he secretly quite enjoyed how Phina praised him in that moment in front of Sebastian. The admiration in her voice was of course directed only at his magical skills, but it still felt incredibly good. 

Moreover, it reaffirmed to him once again that there must be something demonstrably good in him, as otherwise, he wouldn't have been able to cast a Patronus Charm, let alone one with a corporeal form.

"You should have seen it, Sebastian!" Phina continued her story excitedly as the three entered the greenhouse for the upcoming Herbology class. "And it wasn't just a single bat, but countless ones!" Sebastian laughed, and the pride in his best friend evident in that laugh almost caused Ominis to miss the last step of the staircase and stumble.

"Wow, Ominis!" he said, reaching out to Ominis' shoulders and shaking him lightly. "You absolutely have to teach me that."
Sebastian's laughter was infectious, and Phina watched with a pounding heart as Ominis beamed from ear to ear, finally having something in which he apparently excelled over Sebastian and could teach him.

"I'll try," Ominis replied before heading towards his potting table. Sebastian still grinned as he watched him, but when he looked back at Phina, his expression darkened.
"That looks really bad. Did you go to Madam Blainey about it?" he asked, refraining from reaching out his hand towards the severe bruise adorning Phina's chin. The concern in his gaze prompted Phina to quickly respond.

"No, it's not that bad, and she's really busy right now because Everett Clopton has been distributing vomiting pastilles everywhere."
"That's why so many are absent today," Sebastian remarked, surveying the admittedly quite empty greenhouse. Even Professor Garlick didn't look particularly cheerful, which was a very unusual sight because the young teacher usually exuded good cheer with her sunny disposition.

"Hey, Sebastian!" Imelda suddenly spoke up, rushing towards them from the stairs. When her gaze fell on Phina's injury, her features momentarily contorted in shock. Apparently, she hadn't noticed the huge bruise in the dim light of their dormitory earlier this morning.

"What's up?" Sebastian inquired, redirecting Imelda's attention to himself, as he could immediately tell from Phina's demeanor that she was uncomfortable with how her roommate stared at her in shock and curiosity. Imelda then turned back to her fellow teammate.

"We're training after class today," she said, raising her chin determinedly. "The team is finally complete now, and in case there are games again soon, we need to be prepared and well attuned!" Sebastian nodded eagerly, seeming equally filled with enthusiasm by this news.

"Alright, sounds good. When do we meet?" he asked, and as Phina decided to make her way to her potting table, Imelda suddenly held her back with a hand.
"Phina, you should definitely come to watch," she said, looking at her so earnestly that Phina hardly had a chance to refuse her wish. Besides, the idea of watching Sebastian play Quidditch and cheering him on was quite appealing, and she could imagine that Sebastian would also greatly appreciate her support through her presence.