Chapter 16 - Don't let me drown

[AI art in the banner is created by me]

Trigger Warning!
The following chapter contains content related to the following possible triggers: Abuse, (domestic) violence, self-harm, depression, trauma
If any of these sensitive topics would not do you good right now, please do not continue reading this chapter.

Hogwarts had never felt so foreign and empty to Phina, as Ominis had been avoiding her for nearly three weeks now. Several classes with Professor Drewitt had already passed, and in all of them he enthusiastically preached about extracting hidden talents from his students and encouraged them not to hesitate in trying unusual spells, as he put it. It was evident that this also included dark magic for him, even if he never expressed it so directly. Phina and her friends now had to face one lesson after the other with this human-like devil every week, and this was probably one of the reasons why Ominis couldn't find peace. 

Even in classes of other subjects, he made sure not to sit next to her anymore. He didn't even greet her properly; instead, he responded with a curt "Hey" or "Good morning" when she dared to address him. Phina simply couldn't understand what had gotten into him, and it hurt in a merciless and unbearable way that he ignored her and left her hanging without any explanation. Even if they happened to cross paths in a corridor, he immediately changed his direction, so she had no chance to eventually talk to him in an undisturbed moment. She didn't even recognize him anymore, as if the new year had completely replaced him. Slowly, she began to wonder if all those familiar and sometimes even romantic moments between them had been nothing but her imagination. Had they really happened, or had she dreamed it all?

"Give him time, he's just as distant with me right now," Sebastian tried to cheer her up after another failed attempt to contact Ominis, as they left the greenhouse after their Herbology class. Phina had tried to stop Ominis, but he had simply ignored her and had walked away briskly. Phina had to admit that Sebastian's words did provide her with some comfort, as she didn't dare imagining how it would feel if Ominis was only cold towards her. The fact that he also excluded Sebastian at least showed that it probably had nothing to do with her personally.
"I just can't make sense of it. Did he really say nothing to you?" Phina said, looking up at Sebastian, who sighed in resignation.
"The last time I brought it up, he just said it was best for everyone for now. That's all I could get out of him," he explained, shrugging apologetically because he knew it wasn't a very satisfying explanation. 

Out of the corner of her eye, Phina noticed a few Gryffindor students she didn't know, scrutinizing her and Sebastian, then huddling together to whisper. It had come to the point where even Professor Sharp had asked them if they had fallen out with Ominis, as he had only seen him alone in the castle for some time now. So if Ominis really intended to give the impression that the three of them were no longer close friends, he seemed to be succeeding, especially if even the professors were taking notice.

"I miss him so much," Phina sniffled eventually, and she was frightened herself by how hurt and helpless her voice sounded. Sebastian's gaze became deeply empathetic, and he immediately put his arm around her. Phina was grateful for it and leaned her heavy head against his shoulder, seeking comfort. Without Sebastian, she would have completely fallen apart long ago and would probably be hiding in her dormitory feeling defeated and powerless, but she wouldn't even have peace there because Imelda and Nerida would undoubtedly ask uncomfortable questions. Nathan had even offered to postpone the first Keeper trial a bit due to her current state, claiming he had fully prepared it with the help of Niamh and Clarissa and it was just waiting for her to take it.
"Take some time to regain your strength; you'll need it," he had said, and it had been clear that it bothered him that he couldn't give her more details about the challenges that awaited her in the trial. He had agreed that she would just contact him when she was finally ready.