Chapter 5 - Justice Is Served Deliciously

I could almost feel the emptiness of that desk every first period for the next couple of days. I knew that Elvis would be back on Friday, but waiting for him to return... it was agonizing. I felt so horrible that I was the cause of that fight, that both of those boys got hurt on account of me. I just hoped that Jimmy Brenton didn't spread some more wild rumors about him and I.

"These boys, seriously... They'll be my undoing."

Deena told me that this should be a complement that the boys got into a fight because of me. I had to make it clear that it was because of me, not that they were fighting over me. Still... she was right. I felt a little flattered. It was a boost in my feminine pride.

I sat at my desk at school in front of an empty classroom. It was finally Friday. I couldn't fall back asleep after I woke up at around 5am, so I just got up and got ready and went straight to the school. It was now 6:35, and school would start in an hour and twenty-five minutes.

By a little after seven, I saw students passing the door now and then—there was a window on the door I could see through. My heart made a massive leap when I saw that Elvis stood in front of the door, but he was facing away from the classroom. He was talking with someone. It looked like another boy.

"Okay, just relax," I ordered myself and took some breaths. Wait... he couldn't be in here if I was the only one here! "Please, walk away with that guy."

Thankfully, he did just that, and then I let out a breath. I sat at my desk, going over the lesson plan for a few minutes, then my bladder started protesting. I got up and left the classroom. I was such a fool, making sure I looked alright in the restroom mirror. My dark hair was back in its usual bun on the back of my head, and I wore liner at my lashes to bring out my eyes a little. I also wore a little foundation to cover those annoying dark circles. My olive skin was a little shiny due to my naturally oily skin—another aspect of myself that I was self-conscious about. I took out my powder from my purse and went over my face. I stopped.

"What am I even doing? Who cares if I look nice or not?"

I was trying to convince myself. I put my powder away left the bathroom, and I saw Elvis standing over near my classroom door, looking as handsome as ever. I should walk away and come back in another way. Elvis definitely knew why that fight started.

"Miss Thatcher," I heard behind my after I took a few steps in the other direction. I winced, but then took a breath and turned back around, composed.

"Good morning, Elvis. Welcome back."

He grimaced this time. "Yeah... look..."

I put up a hand. "You don't have to explain anything."

"Principal McNulty said he would call you in to make sure of some details... I just don't want ya to feel bad or nothin'. Jimmy..."

"Jimmy Brenton is a conceited jock," I finished, and he smirked with a chuckle. "Don't worry about it anymore. But are you okay? I was told that both of you came out with bloodied handkerchiefs."

He nodded. "Yeah, it was just a split lip. But I'll be fine. He got one as well."

I glanced at his bottom lip which was a little above my eye level, and I saw a little slit in near the right corner. That made my heart drop a little. "I'm sorry, Elvis."

He smirked again, a smirk that I imagined would always be his signature. How I loved that smirk. "Hey, I said that I don't want ya to feel bad."

"You got punched because of a wild fantasy in that boy's head. You didn't do anything. That's why I feel terrible."

"I threw a punch at him, too, you know."

"Yes, in self-defense. I was told exactly what happened."

"Let's just not worry anymore about it, huh? You even said not to worry about it."