chapter twenty-two: crybaby

! mentions of abuse ⚠

---

Brooklynn managed to pull JJ out of the hot tub and into the guest bedroom that he occupied at the Chateau.

It was obvious that JJ felt awful about whatever happened with his Dad and refused to give anyone any specific details.

Kiara and Pope had already gone home and John B was now staying at the Cameron's mansion. The only ones left at the Chateau were JJ and Brooklynn.

"Hey, J?" Brooklynn called out to JJ.

"Hm?"

"Do you mind if I take the Twinkie? Kie took my car," Brooklynn explained.

"Just stay here," JJ shrugged.

"I don't know, my Dad's probably wondering where I am," Brooklynn hesitated.

"Since when has he cared?"

"Yeah, you're right."

"And I don't really wanna be alone," JJ mumbled.

Brooklynn smiled to herself before pulling blankets out of the closet and preparing to sleep on the pullout couch.

"Um, actually... could you stay in here with me?" JJ slowly asked.

"Yeah, alright," Brooklynn nodded, trying to hide her small grin.

Brooklynn closed the closet and made her way into the guest bedroom. JJ lay in bed over the covers wearing a pair of grey sweatpants, flipping his hat around in his hands.

"I was really worried about you, you know. I went to the police station and everything," Brooklynn told JJ.

"You were worried... about me?" JJ asked.

"Uh huh," Brooklynn answered, taking off her shoes and sitting at the end of the bed, "Rafe came to my house and he somehow knew that you stole from Barry. I thought he went after you or something."

"No, he didn't- Wait. Did you say Rafe came to your house?" JJ immediately sat up in concern, "Are you okay? He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"Of course not," Brooklynn responded as if she was offended.

"So he didn't touch you at all?"

"No. He just said that we should give Barry the money back," Brooklynn reassured him.

JJ immediately relaxed back into his previous position, "Too bad it's already gone."

"You don't need to feel bad about it. Everyone makes mistakes," Brooklynn said, placing her hand on JJ's knee for comfort.

JJ put his hat down on the nightstand beside him, running a hand through his messy blonde hair.

He knew all of the pogues cared about him, but for some reason, it felt different with Brooklynn. JJ loved to blame it on the fact that he'd known her longer than Pope and Kiara, but he knew that wasn't quite it.