chapter fifteen: handled

---

---

The group ultimately decided to split up. It was JJ and Pope, Brooklynn and Kiara, and John B by himself.

Brooklynn and Kiara got the job of searching the front yard. 

"So, I've been meaning to ask you something," Kiara said nervously, trying her best to make conversation.

"Yes?"

"Do you um... have a thing for JJ?" Kiara asked.

Boys usually weren't the topic of Brooklynn and Kiara's conversations. Well, to be fair, they didn't have many conversations without the boys around.

"Would it be bad if I did..?" Brooklynn implored.

"No, I'm just wondering," Kiara shrugged.

"I've never really thought about it, I guess," Brooklynn said thoughtfully, her mind racing.

The only boy she had been thinking about before this was Rafe. The second JJ entered her mind, a smile appeared on her face. 

Brooklynn and JJ had known each other since they were 8 years old and barely ever spent a moment apart. He was one of the only people she truly felt comfortable with. 

She could be herself around JJ. She didn't have to put up any walls or change her personality for him. 

Brooklynn admired every aspect of JJ's personality. His fighter personality scared her sometimes, but she appreciated it at the same time.

JJ would pick fights, but not out of stubbornness, out of loyalty. JJ protected his friends with everything he had in him.

He always put others before himself, it wasn't the healthiest thing ever, but his friends meant a lot to him and that was clear.

JJ meant a lot to Brooklynn. But did Brooklynn like him? Maybe a little bit, but not enough to act on it. She was still healing from Rafe.

"Well, do you?" Kiara asked again.

"Not really."

Kiara's eyebrows furrowed. She was under the impression that both of the blonde pogues had their eyes on each other.  

Just then John B had rounded the corner, "Oh, hey. We were looking for you guys. There's only one place we haven't looked yet."

So John B led the two girls to a pair of wooden doors that led into Mrs Crain's basement where they met up with the rest of the crew. 

"Nice of you to join us," JJ commented. 

Kiara rolled her eyes at him and took JJ's flashlight from him.

"Kie, I can't see anything!" he complained.

Brooklynn tuned them out as she looked around. There were spiderwebs in every corner and old furniture at every turn.