chapter three: sandbar

---

---

It was an extremely hot day out. Everyone had taken off their shirts, leaving them in shorts (girls in bikinis). 

Pope was driving the boat, John B and JJ were standing by the driver's seat, and Kiara and Brooklynn were sitting next to each other near the front of the boat.

The pogues were all laughing and having a great time until JJ wanted to show them his "party trick". He'd do this almost every time they were out on the marsh. He'd tell the driver to drive faster and he'd raise his beer bottle and try to make the wind blow the liquid into his mouth. It never worked. He just always ended up getting beer everywhere.

"It doesn't work, we've tried this like 6,000 times," John B complained, backing up to sit behind Pope.

"I got this, It's gonna work!"

"JJ, you say that literally every time you do this," Brooklynn remarked, scooting further away from him as he made his way to the front of the boat (beer bottle in hand).

Pope started driving faster and JJ lifted his beer and tilted it towards his open mouth, beer going everywhere as usual.

"God, you're getting beer in my hair!" Kiara said, leaning away from him.

"JJ!" Brooklynn whined.

"Alright, alright. You're done!" Pope said, shielding his face.

Suddenly the motor made a rattling noise and the boat came to an abrupt stop making everyone scream and throwing JJ off the front of the boat. Kiara almost got launched off the boat too. 

Brooklynn's chest slammed into the side of the boat hard, causing the blonde girl to momentarily fall breathless. 

"You good, Brook?" John B asked.

Brooklynn hummed in response trying to regain her composure.

"Jesus, Pope!" Kiara complained, rubbing her head.

Pope and Kiara were almost certain that everyone got whiplash.

"Everyone okay?" Kiara asked, receiving a nod from Pope.

JJ groaned loudly from the water.

"You ok, JJ?"

"I think my heels touched the back of my head," JJ said, floating in the water.

John B made sure everyone was alright while JJ swam back towards the boat. 

"Pope, what did you do?" JJ asked although it sounded more like a statement than a question.

"Sandbar, the channel changed," Pope explained.

"No shit."

"This is probably going to mess this whole thing up," John B said with a frown.