chapter sixteen: mechanical

! mentions of self-harm ⚠

---

Kiara had fled to John B's dock, wanting to avoid Sarah and John B. She sat on the edge, dangling her feet in the water.

Brooklynn soon joined her. She knew that Kiara wasn't the type of person who wanted to be hugged and comforted while she was in a bad mood. 

"Shouldn't you have stayed with Sarah? I know you rather her be here than me," Kiara sniffled.

"That's not true, Kiara. I want you both here. But if I had to pick someone, it'd be you," Brooklynn said, staring off into the water.

"Now, that's not true. I know you're just trying to make me feel better, but you don't need to," Kiara sighed.

"Kie, I'm being for real," Brooklynn said, turning her head to look at Kiara.

"Were barely even friends. The only time we hung out without the boys was Midsummer. You're better friends with JJ, John B and Sarah."

"Maybe so. But I'd really like to change that," Brooklynn said.

Brooklynn's friendship with Kiara wasn't very strong. That was something that both of them had wanted to change for a while.

"Okay... Could I be real with you then?" Kiara asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, of course," Brooklynn reassured.

"I hate John B right now," Kiara breathed.

"Why?"

"Because I know how this ends. I've seen this movie. I've starred in it. In freshman year, my first year at the Kook Academy- I mean, you know how intimidating that is?" Kiara said, on the verge of tears.

"Yeah, yeah I know."

"I didn't have anything in common with anyone. And just as I'm about to slit my wrists, Sarah asks me if I wanna go save baby sea turtles with you and her," Kiara spoke.

"I remember that," Brooklynn muttered.

"It was the best day of my life," Kiara said, meeting Brooklynn's gaze.

"Mine too," Brooklynn mentioned, smiling to herself.

"And then Sarah turned on me. Like she does with everyone. Except you, for some reason," Kiara continued.

"What'd she do?" Brooklynn asked.

"Don't you remember? ...The party," Kiara asked slowly.

"Oh. Right..."

"I'm not doing this with her again. John B's gonna have to choose," Kiara concluded.

"He's not gonna be able to. You know how stupid he is," Brooklynn retorted.