Chapter 28 : Burned

Chapter 28

Later...   

Rocky POV

I silently walked down the hall to mom and dad's room. And I shook dad until he woke up.

"Rocky, what is it?" Dad asked.

"Riker hasn't texted me back. I'm worried."

Dad sighed and got out of bed. He followed me back to my room. I got back in Riker's bed.

"What's going on?" Dad asked.

"I texted Riker a bunch of times but he hasn't texted me back. I'm worried. Something's wrong. I know he would've texted me back by now."

"Rocky, it's late. He's probably just sleeping."

"No, that's not it. I texted him earlier."

"Rocky-"

"We need to get him back, dad."

"Rocky, why are you so worried?"

"Dad, you read his journal! That's why! I just know something happened to him!"

"Maybe he's busy getting evidence then."

"If he was getting evidence, he would've texted me back! Isn't there anything you can do!?"

"Rocky, I'm sure he'll text you tomorrow."

"He's not going to. Something happened. I just know it."

"Well what do you want me to do?"

"Call the police!"

"And say what? That my son thinks something happened to our previous foster kid? They won't be able to do anything, Rocky. They can't just show up and search someones house just because you think something happened. They need a good reason to be able to do it. Or proof."

I sighed.

"Rocky, you need to try to get some sleep."

"I can't! I miss Riker."

"I miss him too. But there's nothing we can do. If he doesn't send us evidence, we can't go to the police."

I started crying again. I know he's right. But I also know that something must have happened to Riker. I know he would've texted me back if he could've. And I know something's really wrong.

"Lay down," dad said.

I laid down and got under the covers. Dad tucked me in.

"Please, Rocky. Try to get some sleep."

I sighed and shut my eyes.

Morning...

Riker POV

When I woke up, I looked up the stairs at the door. It was still shut.

I sat up slowly, trying not to hurt myself. My whole body already really hurts from last night.

I wrapped my blanket around myself and stood up. I went up the stairs and started knocking. I heard footsteps and then dad opened the door.

"What? Do you need to go to the bathroom?"

I nodded.

"Go."

He let me out. I used the bathroom and then waited in the hallway because I really don't want to go back to the basement. I just want to rest. My cheek has a huge bruise on it.

"Riker," dad called.

I slowly walked back out.

"Back in the basement."

I shook my head no and went over to him. I clung onto him, hoping he wouldn't make me go back down.

"Riker, you've been very bad."

I just stayed how I was, clinging to him.

"Riker, you should really face the consequences of your actions."

I was slightly worried he would get mad. But he didn't.

"Fine. You can go sit on the couch for a little while."

I went to the living room and curled up with my blanket around me. I need to get upstairs and get my phone though. I don't know how I'm going to do that without him noticing or questioning me.

Maybe I can get some more sleep for now. Sleeping on the concrete floor in the basement definitely wasn't comfortable. But at least I had my blanket last night.

I shut my eyes, hoping dad would just let me stay here for a while.

Later...

Riker POV

I woke up being thrown off the couch, onto the floor.

"You have a phone!? Where did you get a phone!?" Dad yelled.

I was barely awake and still kind of confused.

"Were you going to try to get proof you were getting hurt here so you could leave again!?"

I shook my head no. Why did he go through my suitcase?

He threw my phone on the floor, smashing it.

And then he grabbed me arm and dragged me outside. He brought me back over to the pool, but this time, he took the ladder out. And he pushed me in.

I got water up my nose again and I was freezing.

I tried to get out, but I wasn't able to push myself up on my arms to get out. I'm not strong enough and I'm too cold.

I reached for dad, but he just stood there with his arms crossed, looking down at me.

I started getting panicky. I'm so cold and my fingers are becoming numb.

I think dad sensed my panic because he came over, grabbed my wrist, and pulled me out. But then he dragged me back inside and upstairs into the bathroom. He shut the door and then started the shower. This can't be happening again.

I tried to get the bathroom door open, but my fingers weren't working because they were numb.

Dad opened the shower door, grabbed my arm, and pushed me in. The water was scalding hot.

He held the door shut so I couldn't get out. I started screaming from the pain and pushing as hard as I could against the door. He finally let me out. I slipped and fell on the floor because of how much I was panicking.

"I can't believe you thought you were going to get away with that."

He grabbed my arm again and dragged me downstairs. He opened the basement door and then pushed me. I slipped and fell all the way down the stairs. Everything hurt so bad. My whole body was sore and my skin felt too hot.

And then I saw him coming down here. Hasn't he done enough!?

I covered my head with my arms, trying to protect myself. But I don't think it did much. The beatings started again. And by the end of it, I was screaming again.

He stomped up the stairs and slammed the door when he was done. I shut my eyes and just cried. I don't even feel like I can move anymore.