Chapter 5 : Shopping

Chapter 5

Later...   

Rocky POV

Mom had shopping to do at the mall, so she let me take Riker and a list of things to buy and we went off on our own. We were at Target.

"Ok, why don't we start with getting you some bedding first?" I asked.

Riker nodded. So I led him over to the bedding section.

"Pick out a bedding set. You have a twin size bed, so make sure it's the correct size."

I watched him walk down the aisle. He picked a bright blue comforter and sheet set and put it in the cart.

My phone buzzed, so I took it out of my pocket. It was Ross.

"How's the mall? How are you going to deal with Riker not talking?" He asked.

"Mom said we can play 20 questions. It's going fine. I have to go."

When I looked up, Riker was at the opposite end of the aisle we were in and he was hugging a really soft looking fluffy blanket.

"You can get that too," I said, pushing the cart over.

He put it in the cart. I looked at the list.

"Ok. How about we get some school stuff now?"

I started walking, but realized Riker was frozen in his spot.

"Riker, what's wrong?"

I keep forgetting he's not going to talk. This is more difficult than I thought it would be.

"Don't you want school supplies?"

He shook his head no. Ok maybe he has school trauma or something?

"Fine, how about we get school stuff for me, not you? Is that ok?"

He nodded.

"Ok, how about you get in the cart?"

I took his hands and helped him climb into the cart. I don't want him to just freeze without me knowing. Mom would kill me if I lost him.

He was pretty light, so it wasn't hard to push the cart with him in it. And now I can keep my eye on him.

I went to the school supplies. I'm not really getting myself school supplies. It's for Riker. But I don't want him to know that.

Since he picked blue bedding, I got him blue notebooks, folders, and binders. And then I also got him some pencils and pens. And I texted mom to let her know what was going on so she didn't call the school supplies Riker's.

"Ok. Time for clothes. You're wearing my clothes right now. How do they fit? Too tight? Too loose?"

Riker gave me a thumbs up.

"Perfect?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Ok. That makes this easy then. I know what size I am, so we can even share clothes if you want."

I pushed the cart to the clothes section. I would hold up stuff and Riker would give me a thumbs up or down. We got him some jeans, sweatpants, T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, underwear, socks, a pair of converse, some hoodies, pjs, swimsuits, and a coat.

Mom told me to get a lot since Riker literally came here with nothing except his journal.

I texted mom and then we met up near the front of the store.

"Why is Riker in the cart?" She asked.

"So I could keep my eye on him," I said.

"Fair enough."

I held my hands out to Riker and helped him get out of the cart so mom could go take it to pay.

Riker and I walked over to the front of the store, waiting for mom to finish checking out. Riker seemed lost in thought or fixated on something. I couldn't tell what he was looking at though.

"Riker, you ok?"

He shook his head no.

"What's wrong?"

He pointed at something. But I'm not sure what.

"Um... Give me a hint."

Riker pointed again.

"The bathrooms?"

He nodded.

"You have to go to the bathroom?"

He nodded again.

"Ok, do you want me to go with you?"

He nodded again.

"Ok. Mom, we're going to the bathroom!" I called.

I put my arm lightly around Riker and led him to the bathroom.

While I was waiting for him, I couldn't help but wonder how hard this was going to be. I mean, it's been pretty easy to figure out what he wants to tell me so far. But at some point, I just feel like we're not going to be able to figure out what he's trying to tell us.

I know mom and dad said he doesn't talk because he was abused, but I just don't get it. Why does being abused equal not talking anymore? And if we're not abusing him then why won't he talk to us?

I just really don't understand Riker.

Riker washed his hands and then walked back over to me. When we came out of the bathroom, mom was finished checking out.

We walked out to the car. I opened the door for Riker to get in the back and then helped mom put all of the bags in the car.

I walked with her to put the cart away when we were done.

"So what's the deal with him and school?" Mom asked.

"I don't know. He froze up when I mentioned it. So maybe don't throw him into school immediately. Give him some time to get settled here first. Then maybe try asking him about school."

We got in the car. I got in the back so I could sit with Riker. He spent the whole ride home looking out the window.

When we got home, we helped bring everything inside. Riker found dad in the living room and immediately went over to him. He climbed onto his lap and wrapped his arms around him tight.

I don't know why he's so connected to dad. I mean, I'm glad he at least feels comfortable with someone. I just wouldn't have guessed it would be dad, considering his old parents abused him.

I sat down next to dad on the couch.

"I moved Riker's bed into your room while you guys were at the mall," dad said.

"Oh, thanks. Yeah, we got some bedding for him, so we can put that on later."

"How was the mall?" He asked.

"I thought it was fine. Riker seemed a little nervous, but we got everything we needed."

"Good. I want you to help Riker get settled in your room tonight, ok?"

"Yup."