Chapter 19 : Homework

Chapter 19

Later...      

Rocky POV

I noticed Riker kept erasing stuff. We were each sitting on our own beds, doing our homework. Riker put his pencil down and covered his face with his hands.

"Hey, you ok? What's going on?" I asked.

I got up and went over to him. He was working on his math homework. I would help him if I could, but he was a few grades ahead of me, so I don't understand the math he's doing either.

"Riker, just ask dad to help you."

I sat down beside him and put my arm around him.

"Do you want me to ask him if he can help you?"

He nodded.

"Ok, get your stuff."

I got my own homework and led Riker downstairs to the kitchen. Dad was still at the table, on his laptop.

"Dad, can you help Riker with his math homework?" I asked.

"Sure."

Riker sat down next to dad. I sat across from them at the table and continued working on my own homework.

Dad started explaining what to do. I was curious if Riker was going to understand after dad helped him. I know Riker said he was stupid, but I'm convinced he's smart.

"Ok, now you try," dad said, handing the pencil to Riker.

If he gets it right, that proves he's smart.

Riker spent a few minutes working on his homework and then stopped and waited for dad to look it over.

"Yes, that's correct. Good job, Riker," dad said.

I knew it. He only thinks he's stupid because no one has ever helped him before. 

I finished my homework, but stayed at the table to wait for Riker to finish his homework. Dad made sure he got all the correct answers. And then we went back upstairs when he was finished.

"Riker, you're not stupid. You were able to do the math. See?"

Riker grabbed his phone.

I only got the answers because he helped me.

"So? You still figured out how to do it. It doesn't matter if you needed help. I knew you were smart."

What if I always need help?

"Then that's fine. Dad will keep helping you."

Riker packed up his homework and then came and laid down on my bed.

"Tired?"

He nodded and shut his eyes.

"Why don't you take a nap? Dinner isn't for about another hour."

Riker grabbed my wrist and pulled me closer.

"Yeah, I'll stay with you. Don't worry."

Later...

Riker POV

I was still nervous of hot water. So when I ran my bath, I still only used warm water.

I got undressed and then got in the bath. I'm curious if Mark is going to try to get me to shower eventually. I hope not.

School was overwhelming. I hope it gets easier. And I hope math gets easier. I don't want to have to ask Mark for help every single night.

I'm getting really paranoid though. I only have a few weeks here before the court makes a decision about my parents. And I really don't want to go back home. I just want to stay here with Mark and Rocky. 

I washed myself and my hair and got out. I got changed into my pjs and then brushed my teeth. I'm very tired. Today was a lot.

I went to my room, where Rocky was waiting for me.

"Which bed tonight?" He asked.

I pointed to mine.

"Alright."

I got in bed and cuddled into Rocky's side. I'm getting really scared that life won't be like this forever. 

I felt myself starting to cry. I'm so tired of crying!

"Riker, what's wrong?"

I hid my face in his side.

"Riker, come on. What's wrong? Why are you upset?"

I kept my face hidden in his side.

"You don't want to talk about it?"

I shook my head no.

"Ok. Just try to relax then."

I felt his hand on my back. I wish I could stay here forever. I just want to be safe. I don't want to get hurt anymore. I want hugs and I want help. 

"Riker, I know you don't want to talk about it. But is there anything I can do to help? Do you want dad?"

I shook my head no and clung onto Rocky tight.

"You just want me?"

I nodded.

"Ok."

Rocky pulled the covers over us, which made me feel a little better. 

After a little while, I calmed back down again and managed to fall asleep.