Chapter 17 : Getting to know Riker

Chapter 17

Later...    

Rocky POV

Riker didn't wake up from another nightmare and I was so relieved. But now I'm paranoid for tonight. Dad's not sleeping in our room tonight. So if he wakes up and has a panic attack, I have to handle it again.

All day Riker has seemed really upset. During dinner he started crying for what seemed like no reason. But it wasn't panic attack crying. I just noticed tears going down his cheeks.

I'm guessing he's just upset about his nightmares and panic attacks, but it just seems weird to me that he's crying over it hours later.

Maybe it's not weird. Maybe that's normal for him. I wish I knew more about him.

I wish there was some way I could get to know him better. But I'm not sure how. It's kind of hard since he can't talk.

Riker came in our room wearing his pjs and sat down next to me on my bed. I lifted the covers so he could get under.

Maybe I could ask Riker if he had any ideas on how I could get to know him better. Or if he even wants me to get to know him better. Maybe he doesn't. Although I feel like he'd be fine with it considering how much he seems to trust me...

"Riker?"

He was laying down now, but he looked up at me.

"I was just wondering if you would mind if I tried to get to know you a little better. I just thought maybe I could help you more if I knew more about you. I'm not saying you need to tell me what's happened to you. But can I get to know you a bit better?"

He nodded and then moved closer to me and wrapped his arm across my chest, hugging me.

"Ok. Do you have any ideas on how I could get to know you better?"

He shook his head no. I don't really have any ideas either.

Riker reached for his phone, so I took it off the nightstand and gave it to him. And he texted me.

Why do you want to get to know me?

"So I can try to help you feel better if you're panicking. I don't know."

But why do you even care about me?

"Um... Because you're my foster brother?"

But I'm just a foster kid.

"No, you're not. You're part of our family."

Really?

"Really, Riker."

He gave me his phone, so I set it back down on the nightstand. He cuddled into my side.

"Wake me up if you have a nightmare, ok?" I asked.

He nodded. I pulled the covers over us and left the light that was on our nightstand on, like usual. I laid down beside Riker.

"Night, Riker."

The next day...

Rocky POV

I've noticed the whole time Riker's been here, he's only wanted to wear pjs or comfy clothes like sweatpants and hoodies. He has other clothes he could wear that we got him from the mall, but he only wants to wear the comfy clothes.

I was wondering if maybe he felt safer when he was curled up on the couch in comfy clothes under blankets. Maybe that's why.

Today was basically chaos because it was Saturday, so everyone was home. And I knew Riker didn't like it. So after we had breakfast, I went back upstairs to our room with him. I kind of don't want to leave him alone in case he has a panic attack or something.

But he seemed fine, curled up in my bed with me, watching a movie.

I got Riker's phone and handed it to him.

"Riker, have you watched movies before?" I asked.

He shook his head no.

"Never?"

He started texting me. Maybe this is how I can get to know him. I can just ask him questions and eventually I'll know a lot more about him.

I wasn't allowed to watch tv or movies.

"Why?"

I don't know. I wasn't allowed to do a lot of things that you do. Like eat things with tons of sugar in them. I only ate healthy food. I was never allowed to watch tv or play video games. I couldn't stay up late. I did chores every day. I never really had friends, so I didn't hang out with anyone or go to sleepovers or birthday parties.

"Why didn't you have friends?"

I got bullied in school because I don't talk.

"I'm sorry. That's not fair."

It's ok. I have you now.

"That's right. And you have my dad. And the rest of our family."

You're my best friend.

"You're my best friend too, Riker."

He handed his phone back to me, so I figured he was done talking about himself, which is fine. He told me a lot that I didn't know before. I set his phone back on the nightstand.

Riker cuddled into my side, so I wrapped my arm around him. He rested his hand lightly on my chest and went back to watching the movie on my laptop. It's Saturday, so if he just wants to have a lazy day, that's perfectly fine.