Chapter 14 : "Foster brother"

Chapter 14

Later...    

Rocky POV

"He did what!?" I asked.

"Rocky, Riker is asleep on the couch in the living room," mom said.

"I'm going to talk to him," I said, turning to leave.

"Rocky, go easy on him," mom said.

I went upstairs to Ross's room.

"Why did you do that to Riker!?" I asked, standing in his doorway.

He was sitting in his bed, looking at me.

"I didn't do it on purpose," he said.

"Really? Because all you've been is mean to him since he got here."

"Rocky, I didn't mean for him to get hurt. I swear."

"You need to stop being jealous and be nice to him already. He's part of our family now."

"No, he's not."

"Yes, he is. Dad said so yesterday. Stop being mean to him."

"Rocky, he's just a foster kid!"

"I don't care! He's being a way better brother than you are right now! You're the only person I know who could get into an argument with someone who doesn't even talk!"

I stormed out of his room and went back downstairs. Riker was awake on the couch now, looking at me.

"Are you ok?" I asked, walking over to him.

He nodded.

I sat down next to him on the couch.

"Let me see your head."

He turned so his back was to me. I gently moved his hair so I could see where he got hurt. His hair was stained with blood around the cut.

"I yelled at him," I said, putting my arm around Riker.

He leaned into my side.

"If he does anything else, tell me," I said.

Riker nodded.

Later...

Riker POV

Dinner was really tense. Basically Rocky and Ross just glared at each other the whole time. Ryland and Rydel didn't say anything. I obviously didn't say anything. Stormie and Mark tried to make conversation, but it didn't really work.

After dinner, I waited for Mark to come into the living room so I could sit on his lap. This has sort of become our routine every night now.

He came in and sat down on the couch with a cup of tea. I climbed onto his lap and he put his arm around me. Rocky, Ross, and Ryland came in. They started playing video games like usual.

And then I noticed Ross looking at me. And I guess Rocky noticed too.

"Stop looking at him," Rocky said, nearly shouting.

"I'm allowed to look wherever I want!" Ross shouted back.

"Alright, family meeting. Turn the tv off," Mark said.

Ryland turned off the tv.

"What about mom and Rydel?" Ross asked.

"Mom and Rydel aren't part of the problem," Rocky said, glaring at him.

"Stop. I'm the only one allowed to speak," Mark said.

I felt myself becoming tense. I know I'm not in trouble, but I feel like I'm causing trouble. I'm the reason everyone is arguing.

"Riker, calm down," Mark said, starting to rub my back.

"What's wrong?" Rocky asked.

"He's shaking a little," Mark said.

Rocky got up and sat next to us. He put his hand on my arm.

"It's ok, Riker. You're not in trouble. This is all Ross's fault," Rocky said.

"It is not!" Ross yelled.

"Enough! Ryland, you can go upstairs. You're not in trouble," Mark said.

Ryland got up, but then he came over to me and hugged me. And then he left and went upstairs.

"Listen to me this time. Because I don't want to have to repeat myself. I don't care if Riker is a foster kid. While he is here, he is part of our family. We are all equally part of this family. And you need to start treating him better," Mark said, looking at Ross.

"Rocky is blaming me for Riker getting hurt, but it was just an accident. I wasn't trying to hurt him. And Rocky's trying to make it seem like I did it on purpose," Ross said.

"Because all you've done is be mean to him! It's hard to believe this wasn't you just being mean again," Rocky said.

I could feel my heart racing faster and faster. I can't take the shouting. Shouting is bad. Shouting means I'm in trouble. And being in trouble means pain. I can't take any more pain.

"Ross, I want you to go to your room. You're grounded for a week," Mark said.

"That's not fair! I didn't do anything!" Ross said.

"Go."

Ross got up and left, but he kind of stomped as he left.

"Riker, calm down. It's ok. Why are you so scared?" Mark asked.

"He doesn't like when it gets loud," Rocky said.

"That's right... Riker, it's ok," Mark said, still rubbing my back.

I buried my face in his shoulder and clung onto him super tight. I tried to calm myself down again. But after a few minutes, I was still shaking, and I could tell Mark wasn't happy about it.

"Riker, what would make you feel better?" Mark asked.

Rocky gave me my phone. So I started texting Mark.

Can you please come sleep in my room tonight?

"Would that make you feel better?" Mark asked.

I nodded.

"Then ok. I'll sleep in your room tonight. Why don't you two go upstairs and get ready for bed?"

I got up and followed Rocky upstairs. I got changed into my pjs. And then I went over to Rocky. He was sitting on his bed on his phone.

"What's up?" He asked, looking up from his phone.

I reached for him, so he pulled me into a hug.

"Are you doing ok? Do you feel calmer?"

I nodded.

"Good. And dad will sleep here tonight too, so don't worry. I'll try to remind everyone not to yell in the future. I know it freaks you out. And I'm sorry."

"Everything ok?" Mark asked, walking in.

"Yeah, Riker just wanted a hug," Rocky said.

I got up and got into my own bed and then Mark got in beside me.

"Rocky, I'm really proud of you," Mark said.

"You are? Why?"

"Because you've been sticking up for Riker when he's not being treated fairly. Even if that means not being on your own brother's side."

"Yeah, well Riker's my brother now. He's my foster brother," he said, smiling.

I smiled too.

"Well I'm really proud of you, Rocky. I knew we made the right decision when we chose you to be his roommate."

I laid down, cuddling into Mark's side. I'm feeling a lot better now. I feel a lot calmer and a lot safer. Mark and Rocky didn't even tell me goodnight before I was fast asleep.