Chapter 6 : Shower

Chapter 6

Later...    

Riker POV

Rocky had made my bed for me with the new bedding we got at the mall. I was curled up in my bed with my new bedding and my new fluffy blanket, writing in my journal when Mark came in and sat down on the end of my bed.

"So I'm guessing you like your new bedding?" He asked.

I handed him my journal just like I'd done earlier, trusting him with it. I'd written about how I've never had bedding this nice before. I used to just have old sheets and blankets that weren't very soft or warm at my old home.

"I'm glad you like your new bedding," he said, handing my journal back.

I closed it and put it under my pillow.

"Riker, let's talk about the shower, ok?"

I just stared at him. I really don't want to have this conversation.

"I know you had a really bad experience at home. But I promise it's not going to happen here."

I stared down at my blanket and played with it in my hands, not looking at Mark anymore.

"Riker, I want you to go put one of your new swimsuits on and then meet me in the bathroom, ok?"

I nodded, still not looking at him. I'm not happy about whatever's about to happen. But I'm not going to disobey. I know better than that.

Mark left. I got changed into one of the swimsuits I got today. It was blue.

Rocky got changed into his swimsuit too and then walked me to the bathroom where Mark was waiting.

Rocky turned on the shower and shut the curtain halfway, blocking the water from going all over the floor. After a minute, Rocky felt the water and then got in.

"I promise it's safe, Riker. See? Rocky's fine," Mark said.

Rocky got out and Mark handed him a towel.

"Why don't you try?" Mark asked, gently pushing me forward.

I really don't want to.

"Come on. You'll be ok," Mark said.

He took my hand and made me step into the bathtub. I stayed out from under the water though. Only my feet were getting wet.

"Ok, that's a good start. Why don't you try going under the water now?" Rocky asked.

I just stared at him. I don't want to.

Rocky went on the other side of the shower curtain and reached his hands out to me. I could see the water on his arms and it clearly wasn't burning him or hurting. But I'm still scared.

"Come on," Rocky said, still holding his hands out to me.

I slowly reached out and took his hands. He started pulling me closer, under the water. Water suddenly started going right in my face and I panicked.

I tried to get out, but I couldn't see because there was water in my eyes. And I let go of Rocky's hands and nearly slipped and fell. I grabbed onto the side of the bathtub to steady myself and immediately got out. I blinked the water out of my eyes and as soon as I could see, I grabbed onto Mark, holding onto him tight.

"Shut the water off, Rocky."

"But he didn't even take a shower."

"That's enough for today. He's trembling."

Mark had his arms tightly around me. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest really hard. And I realized I was soaking wet and maybe I shouldn't have hugged Mark because now I'm pretty sure he's getting wet too.

"What are we going to do?" Rocky asked.

"Today was a good start. We can work on it. Please go help your mother get ready for dinner. I'll take care of Riker."

I heard Rocky leave. I was still clinging to Mark.

"Riker, I'm really proud of you. You did really good today. I know you're scared. But you did really good. You didn't get hurt. I told you that you'd be ok."

Mark pulled away from me and I had to let go. He wrapped a towel around me.

"Why don't you get changed into some pjs and meet us downstairs? Dinner will be ready soon."

I nodded and went back to my room. My heart was starting to slow down again.

Rocky POV

I was in the middle of setting the table when dad came down. His clothes were really wet from Riker.

"What happened?" Mom asked, laughing at him.

"Riker's afraid of the shower."

"What?" She asked, not laughing anymore.

"His dad trapped him in the shower and turned the water on hot and burned him. So he's scared to shower now. I had Rocky get in the shower first to show him that he wasn't going to get hurt. We got him to get in, but he panicked. And now I'm all wet."

"He really seems to trust you, Mark."

"Yeah. I'm trying to get him to trust Rocky too because they're rooming together. But he seems to want to be with me most of the time."

"Well that's ok. This is only his first day here. It's going to take him a bit to get settled."

"Do you think he'll ever talk?" I asked.

"I don't know. I think that's up to Riker," mom said.

"I just don't get why he doesn't talk. Why would he stop talking just because he was getting abused?" I asked.

"It might've been his way to cope with what he was going through. We might never find out the whole story," mom said.

"We just need to keep making sure he feels safe here," dad said.

"I'm trying," I said.

"You're doing good, Rocky."