Chapter 11 : Mark's job

Chapter 11

The next day...    

Riker POV

Mark had to go to work today, but Stormie suggested I go with him since there wasn't really anything else for me to do, and I always want to be with Mark.

I didn't know he was a pilot and I thought that was super cool. I've never been on a plane before, so I was a little nervous, but I trusted Mark.

He was flying from California to Arizona, and then back again. So we were going to be gone all day.

He let me sit up front with him, away from all of the passengers. He showed me how to fly the plane and what different buttons did. It was kind of scary when we were taking off because the plane felt really bumpy and shaky but Mark kept me calm and told me it was normal for take off to be kind of bumpy, and that's why there are seatbelts.

He gave me a pair of sunglasses to wear so I could look out the window. It was super sunny, especially above the clouds.

It was really cool to be in a plane and to look down at the ground. Everything looked so small.

I literally just looked out the window the whole time until we landed. And the flight back wasn't for another few hours, so Mark rented a car and took me to a restaurant.

"So what did you think of being on a plane? Did you like it?" Mark asked.

I nodded. He handed me a menu.

"You can point to what you want, and I'll order it for you."

I looked at the menu and then pointed to lemonade and a hamburger and fries.

Mark ordered our food for us.

"So I called the school. I told them your situation about how you're in the foster system and you might be a bit behind from missing school. And I told them you don't talk. They suggested that you come with me when I go in to sign the papers so that you can take a look at your schedule. Then you can see where your classes and locker are so you won't be lost on your first day of school. How does that sound?"

I don't know about this...

"I'll be with you the whole time. I'll walk around with you to help you find where your classes are, ok?"

I nodded.

"Ok. It'll be fine, Riker. Try not to worry about school, ok? It doesn't matter what grades you get. I promise."

Later...

Riker POV

The flight back to California was even cooler because it was dark out, so we could see all the lights on down below. Everything was so pretty.

The landing was kind of scary though. It was even more bumpy than taking off. It freaked me out a little.

And then Mark drove us back home. Rocky, Ross, and Ryland were playing video games in the living room when we got home.

"Why did Riker get to go flying with you?" Ross asked.

"Because he didn't have anything else to do," Mark said.

I followed Mark into the living room and then sat down on his lap.

"You never take me flying," Ross said.

"Well you're in school. There's not a lot of time to take you," Mark said.

"Why is he so clingy?" Ross asked, gesturing to me.

"I already told you why yesterday," Mark said.

"Well you shouldn't be encouraging it. He's just a foster kid. He's not going to be here forever."

"Ross, I want you to stop talking about Riker. No questions. No comments. Nothing. Got it?" Mark asked, sounding annoyed.

Ross was glaring at me. Or maybe he was glaring at Mark. But I kind of think it was me.

"Why don't you head up to bed, Ross?"

He threw his controller down on the couch and went upstairs. I turned my face into Mark's shoulder.

"It's ok, Riker. Don't listen to him. You're doing just fine," Mark said, starting to rub my back.

I clung onto him even tighter.

"Riker, he's just jealous of you. Don't listen to him," Rocky said.

"Yeah, it doesn't matter that you're a foster kid. I like having you here," Ryland said.

I smiled slightly.

"When are you registering him for school?" Rocky asked.

"Tomorrow. And he's coming with me so he can see where his classes are."

"When are you going?"

"About the time that school ends so we won't be interrupting class."

"Can I skip the bus and just go home with you then?"

"Sure. You can meet us in the office."

"Ok, thanks dad."

"It's getting late. Why don't you take Riker up to bed?"

I felt Rocky's hand lightly on my back. I got up and he walked me upstairs. I got changed into my pjs and then got in my bed. Rocky did the same and then got in my bed beside me.

I moved closer and cuddled into his side, which made him put his arm around me. I don't even really feel nervous anymore to sleep. I feel very comfortable with Rocky next to me.