CHAPTER 17: Haunted

⚠️ 🎧Headphones are not just recommended, they're a must 🎧⚠️

**********Nerrisa***********

A voice, calming and beautiful, captivating and difficult to resist.

Parthenope, come to me. Come on little one, I've waited for so long.

"The way of water has no beginning and no end. The sea is around you and In you, the sea is your home, before your birth and after your death.
The sea gives and the sea takes. And never forget that water connects all things".

Parthenope, come to me child". "What happened? What is it"?

Firstly child, don't blame yourself for putting your desires before that of others, if anything you should blame me for raising you like a mermaid.

Secondly, it's not your fault Akiram was weak and couldn't protect himself without your help. And in the end, though he almost died, he's safe and alive and it's still because of you.

And lastly, WHO IS AKIRAM?

"He'll be fine child, now come swim with me, while I explain".

"CLOSE YOUR EYES, CHILD".

"Parthenope", "What I'm about to show you can only be shown if you fully see me as your queen and not your mother, do you understand?

"I ASHERAH BROOKES, PRESENT QUEEN OF THE SIRENS THEREFORE GIVE YOU PARTHENOPE BROOKES NEXT QUEEN OF THE SIRENS PERMISSION TO LOOK INTO MY MEMORIES BEFOREHAND AND SEE HOW OUR ANCESTORS LIVED BEFORE US".

A voice soothing and pretty, alluring and hard to ignore.

A voice belonging to a certain royal siren, a voice belonging to Asherah Brookes, A VOICE BELONGING TO MY MOTHER....

I jolted up from the bed when the realization hit me, it was Asherah Brookes who called me out to the ocean that night.

She's probably the one who called Kai too.

I understand why she would call for me, I'm her daughter, technically speaking, Parthenope is her daughter. But why would she call for Kai??

I hurried to the bathroom and washed my face then waddled to my bed, snuggling beneath the sheets.

At least I've discovered the owner of the voice that called me out that night.

I just have to figure out who called out Kai and that can be done tomorrow or later since it's already 3am.

Humming that same melody, I fell asleep.

********Morning*******

I woke up with newfound energy and of course lyrics to the melody I've been humming for some time now.

Getting ready for work with more zeal than usual, I met Naida in the living room and I carried her, twirling her around before putting her down and giving her a peck on the cheek.

Startled, she asked, "what's got your tail flapping princess? Good news? Big day? New boyfriend?"

"Oh Nai, I'll tell you when I get back", I said picking up my helmet and keys but just as I was about to step out, Naida's voice stopped me.

"Tails and fins"? And I turned around to see her pinky finger stretched towards me.

Sighing, I replied, "Gills and scales", while sealing the promise.