CHAPTER 4 Kai Ford

...Few days later...

I tried to stay home and hide myself away but not under Naida's watch. "You my dear, are gonna get your ass outta that bed, outta that room and outta this house and you're gonna go to the agency and show everyone who's boss".

She had said before leaving for work this morning..
I could've ignored her and stayed at home whiling away my time doing everything I could but for some weird reason I felt compelled to obey her, even when she's not at home.

I took a cold bath, had some cereals and put on a baggy pant and hoodie and grabbing my phone I left the house for the agency rehearsing the kind of answers I'd give to Vornee and the others when I got there.

I ordered an Uber since I didn't feel like driving. When we got to the agency I got down and immediately all the nerves in my body screamed at me to get back inside the Uber and return home but I ignored and went inside anyways.

What a big mistake that was!

Immediately I entered the building, I saw everyone's eyes on their phones giggling and laughing at some video they were watching, suddenly a lady raised her head, saw me and gasped which drew the others' attention to me.

As if they rehearsed it, they started shuffling around and getting to their seats, some nervously,others awkwardly and others mockingly.

Then I saw her. Karen, my rival and sworn enemy. Actually,her name is Kaia but she has the attitude of a Karen and the names Kaia and Karen are both similar so I didn't object when Naiddy called her Karen.

She walked towards me smirking and I could already tell that this wasn't going to be good. "Well well well,if it is the greatest swimmer of all time", she said snorting which caused a few employees to laugh. What do you want Karen? I asked grumpily.

Well I just wanted to see how you were doing after.... you know.., after the incident few days ago, she fake - sympathized and I felt the urge to punch her in the gut.

Well Karen I'm okay and better than you would like,I said smiling wickedly and she dropped the fake demeanor. "Why are you even here Nerrisa? Haven't you been in the spotlight enough? Haven't you had the royal treatment enough? She asked bitterly.

Seeing that her words had zero effects on me she decided to change her tactics. Haven't you any shame? You're trending in the worst ways possible and you still have the guts to come here? She asked.

I haven't actually been on social media since the incident and I doubt that there are any good posts about me now.

Fighting the urge to cry I answered calmly, too calmly for her liking "well Karen, first of all, I see no reason why I shouldn't come here because I ma... I paused.

Realizing that if I said anything more than this, I'll say the reason for that horrible experience few days ago. ...Because I'm an employee and I work here, I managed to add. "Not for long though", she muttered with a smirk.

What do you mean not for long? I asked her. What planet are you Nerrisa? Huh? What do you do with that phone of yours? Haven't you seen, read or listened to the news at all? It's all over the internet, She said totally pissed.

Wh.... Ho... What are you even talking about? I asked again, this time genuinely confused and curious. She seemed to realize that my confusion was genuine and she cackled, an evil one and I literally shivered.

"It seems the heavens are on my side because I get to break this wonderful News to you",she smiled happily. Anything about me that made Karen happy is definitely bad News.