Chapter 23 - Negotiations

It was dawn in the Lands Between; another day had passed in this never-ending war, although the last night was peaceful. Melina and I found ourselves on the walls of the fort, watching the sunrise while everyone slept.

"...Then, the sea of lava churned and a huge, metallic, flaming monster appeared, spreading its gigantic wings and roaring furiously into the skies before charging towards me."

"Impressive, facing such a beast must have required a monumental effort." Melina said awed, listening to my story attentively.

"Certainly, although I died more times to the hole in the arena than to the monster itself." I muttered, looking away in embarrassment.

"What did you say?" Melina asked, raising a questioning eyebrow.

"Nothing! Continuing, in the future, I learned that the monster was the Old Iron King after his creation reduced him to ashes, and his remains encountered something ancient and powerful in the depths of the lava sea." I quickly corrected myself.

"A small lord became a great king, only to devolve into a tyrant consumed by his vanity and greed, and a monster in his final moments. To think that there is a keep made entirely of iron in a faraway land, I would love to see it." Melina responded with a certain sparkle in her eyes.

"And why not do that? Just take a ship when this war is over and sail to Drangleic, I can show you the Iron Keep when we arrive." I suggested, smiling at Melina, but my smile disappeared when I saw her reaction or lack thereof.

Melina stared at the horizon with a distant look and a thoughtful face, and then she slowly turned her head towards me, and stared at me in silence for a few seconds. I felt like she wanted to tell me something, but I did not press the issue.

"Melina, is everything okay?" I asked, worriedly.

"Yes, I'm just tired; I didn't sleep much last night, although it was nice to meet the inhabitants of the fort. If you need nothing else, then I will retire to rest." Melina replied, smiling slightly, but I noticed a certain tremor in her expression.

I frowned at this reaction. I am not the best judge of character, but there was something wrong here. Melina was hiding something from me, but I cannot judge, because I have my secrets. I just hope I do not regret the trust I placed in her in the future.

"There is something you can do for me. I believe I have accumulated enough runes to increase my abilities considerably. Could you use them to strengthen me?"

My question brought Melina out of her previous thoughts and seemed to cheer her up, as she soon assumed a more professional demeanor.

"Of course, let my hand rest in yours for a moment, share with me, your thoughts, your ambitions, the principles you follow." Melina spoke cryptically, offering her hand.

Hm... I wonder if acting mysteriously is a prerequisite for becoming a person who strengthens warriors. However, putting that aside, I accepted Melina's hand and watched as she shivered slightly.

"Is there a problem?" I asked again, raising a questioning eyebrow.

"You have icy hands. Wait, I mean..." Melina muttered but soon realized what she said and tried to apologize.

"Don't worry, I'm not offended." I replied, making her sigh in relief.

"I'm happy about that. What skills do you want to improve?"

"I want you to improve my strength and dexterity, please."

Melina nodded in confirmation and closed her eyes, I watched closely as our hands shone a golden light and the runes quickly floated around us, giving an ethereal air to the maiden in front of me, before running up my arm and disappearing into my body.