Chapter 5 - Roundtable

What happened? Why is it so dark? My body hurts! What was I even doing? I was fighting! Malenia! I woke up startled; I looked around in search of my enemy. However, I was no longer in the ruins.

I was in a comfortable bed in a kind of castle, there were shelves full of books, quality furniture, a burning fireplace warmed the room and some candles illuminated the area. My equipment was near the bed, staff, chime, and rings. Apparently, I escaped from memory, but who brought me here?

Getting of the bed, I analyzed my wounds, someone healed my body, I can move my left arm, and I have perfect vision again. Well I won't get answers staying here. Picking up my equipment, I left the room.

As I walked through the corridors, I looked at the decoration, large paintings hanging on the walls, red carpets stretched across the floor, torches and candles lit the place.

I entered a circular room, a round table was in the center, and on top of the table was a giant site of grace surrounded by swords. When I entered the room, the people there looked at me. Roderika was among these people, she approached me with a smile.

"You are awake! When Melina brought you here, you were on the verge of death, but now you're fine!" Roderika exclaimed.

I jumped back a bit, still not used to people being friendly with the undead.

"Yes, I'm fine. But can you tell me what happened?" I asked as we went towards the fireplace.

"After you left to face Godrick, Melina took me to the dilapidated church where I met Kalé, but a long time passed and you still hadn't returned, Melina was worried so she brought me to the Round Table and then left in search of you. She came back with you wounded in her arms, according to her you were on the brink of death next to Godrick's corpse, it must have been a difficult battle, but you emerged victorious."

Victorious? Right. Malenia, Blade of Miquela, she who did this to me.

"The fight against Godrick was hard, but I'm here, aren't I? By the way, I have something for you." I handed her the brooch I found in Stormveil, she accepted it and stared at the item for a few seconds.

"Please allow me to express my thanks. For giving me that souvenir of my men. It was as if I was frozen in self-pity. I failed them every time. You have my gratitude. Please take this." Roderika said, giving me some kind of golden seed, best kept it for later.

"Thank you, I would like to continue our conversation but I want to explore this place, it was good to see you again Roderika, I hope that you will be okay." I waved at her.

"I understand, I'm glad to see you again Alden, you don't need to worry about me. It's all a little too much for me, but I'm still looking for my purpose." Roderika spoke, looking away.

So is she looking for a purpose? I can relate to that. Saying one last goodbye, I decided to talk to the other people in the room.

Sitting in a chair was a man; he wore a strange gold and silver armor, with the design of someone coming out of the armor and being hugged.

"I don't believe we've met. I am known as D. I hunt Those Who Live in Death and slay their Death Root. Heed my warning. Those Who Live in Death should be left alone, moreover, if you see a Mariner among them, run. Unless you want to give your life in vain."

I'm not one to ignore warnings, but something worries me, Those Who Live in Death? Does he hunt the undead? Best not to mention my condition.

"A pleasure D, my name is Alden, a sorcerer, thanks for the warning, but I have to go now."