Chapter 9 - Golden Accord

I stared at Godwin's hand, looking back at him; I saw anticipation in his gaze, so I accepted the handshake.

"A pleasure meet you Godwyn, my name is Alden." I said calmly and respectfully.

"Well nice to meet you, Alden. Sorry for the lack of courtesy, you are the first visitor I received in a while; unfortunately, due to my condition I couldn't order a feast to be prepared for us!" Godwyn said, smiling at me.

"I'm sorry if I'm being rude, Godwyn. But why am I here?" I asked, stopping our handshake.

"Right, straight to the point. But before that, would you like a drink?" Godwyn said.

Suddenly, two golden goblets appeared in Godwyn's left hand and a big wine bottle appeared in his right hand. E filled the goblets and offered one to me.

"Yes please." I accepted out of politeness, due to me being an undead, I can't taste anything.

Godwyn sipped from his goblet; I did the same with mine. Moreover, as I thought, I didn't taste anything. We sat on the floor again and returned to our conversation.

"Let's put it this way, I'd like to make an accord with you." Godwyn said.

Not again.

"What kind of accord?" I asked suspiciously.

"I would like your help to solve the problem with those who live in death." Godwyn said, sipping from his goblet again.

"I've heard this name before, but I don't know what it means. Could you clarify for me?"

"Right, but I'll need to give you a little history lesson." Godwyn said, getting up and walking around me as he drank from his goblet.

"Long ago all the inhabitants of the Lands Between who possessed the Grace of Erdtree were immortal, their bodies could perish but their souls would continue to exist and would be absorbed by the Erdtree to be reincarnated, this is due to my mother Queen Marika removing the rune of death of the Elden Ring and giving it to her half-brother Malekith."

"It doesn't look that bad." I said, drinking from my goblet and placing my hand on the cursemark. Being reincarnated seems better than living cursed.

"Believe me, it was a wonder, but it didn't last forever, let's just say that my death changed the reincarnation a little bit." Godwyn said, looking at me and bringing his index finger closer to his thumb.

"Your death? So that night..."

"Yes, but that's not all, to know the reason for my death, I'll have to explain a certain family problem. My father Godfrey is a warrior with an insatiable bloodlust, to the point that Serosh had to be grafted into his back as some sort of limiter, but that doesn't matter now. My mom desired to spread the influence of the Greater Will and the Erdtree in the Lands Between, and for this, my parents launched a military campaign that lasted centuries."

"I take that Godfrey led these campaigns."

"Yes, there was also another man named Radagon, but we'll talk about him later. My mother proclaimed herself ruler but this came into conflict with Dragon Lord Placidusax who was the current ruler of the Lands Between, Placidusax then sent Gransax to the capital. That was the first and only time the capital's walls fell, but the forces of the capital, my mother, father and I managed to kill Gransax. Oh! I forgot, there was also a mysterious warrior helping in the battle. He gave me a spear that pierced Gransax scales quite easily. Are you two related in any way?"

Godwyn asked, giving me an amused smile.

"No, I'm a newcomer to these lands, I've never heard of the mysterious warrior before." I said, pretending not to know what Godwyn was talking about.