CH 6: New Mystery?

Vote targets: 25

Three long years had passed since the relentless battle against cancer had begun in the Smith household

Three long years had passed since the relentless battle against cancer had begun in the Smith household. Mrs. Smith, the heart of the family, had valiantly fought the disease until a somber August day when cancer claimed its victory. Ritik, now eighteen, stood amidst the mourning, grappling not only with the loss of his beloved grandmother but also with the recent memory of his father's tragic death in a car accident just a year prior.

Today marked the culmination of mourning, the funeral procession for Mrs. Smith. Aarohi, Aryan, and Araddha stood beside Ritik, their faces etched with grief, having stood vigil by Mrs. Smith's bedside during her final weeks. As they gathered to pay their last respects, a mysterious figure appeared among the mourners, her presence casting an enigmatic aura amidst the sea of sadness.

Ritik, his curiosity piqued by the woman's mysterious demeanor, found himself drawn to her. She approached him quietly after the funeral, her voice tinged with urgency. "Would you mind meeting me later? I have something to tell you, something of great importance."

Ritik, unsure but intrigued, nodded silently in agreement. His mind was racing with questions about this stranger and what she could possibly know.

After the funeral, Ritik waited anxiously as the mourners dispersed. The woman appeared again, her eyes solemn yet determined. She motioned for Ritik to follow her to a quiet corner of the cemetery.

Standing there, away from the prying eyes and murmurs of the gathered guests, the woman spoke again. "You need to know something about your past," she began, her voice steady. "I knew your mom and dad. I know who you really are, Evan."

Ritik froze, his heart skipping a beat. "Evan? Who is Evan?" he stammered, shaken by the revelation. "I'm not Evan! What are you talking about? Who are you?" His mind raced with disbelief and apprehension.

The woman reached out gently, her expression earnest. "Ritik, listen to me. Your parents entrusted me with a secret—a secret about your true identity."

Ritik stepped back, his hands clenched into fists. "I don't know who you are or what you're talking about," he said firmly, his voice tinged with suspicion. "How do you know my parents? Why are you telling me this now?"

The woman sighed, her gaze unwavering. "I understand this is a lot to take in. Your mother, Evara, was a dear friend of mine. She made me promise that if anything ever happened to her and your father, I would find you and tell you the truth."

Ritik's mind flashed back to his mother's words, echoed in his head like a warning.

Never trust anyone fully. People are liars.
Remember that, son. Don’t trust anyone fully…