"Right." He nods slowly.

I don't want to spell this out for him.

"I was just wondering, if you wanted to, can we just pretend in front of them while they're here. I can't tell them this." I say and glance down at both my engagement and wedding ring.

I still wear them all the time.

I then glance to Gio's hand, his wedding ring is also on his finger.

"Sure." Gio agrees straight away.

"Are you sure that's okay?" I ask.

"Absolutely." He says standing tall.

"I'll stop by and move some stuff back in tomorrow to make it look like I still live there." He leans down to me but stops about half way, realising what's happened.

"Sorry." He stands straight and walks round to the other side of the desk.

"I should go." I stand and head over to his door.

"Amara." He calls as I reach for the door handle.

I already know what he's gonna ask.

"Don't ask, you already know the answer." I tell him before quickly leaving.

The question- do I miss him?
The answer- of course I do.

****
My parents are unpacking in the guest room and Gio and I are stood in the living room, in front of the fire.

"Do you think they know?" I ask twisting my rings.

"No. You're just paranoid." He puts his arm around me, this is too comfortable.

"Amara." My mom says walking into the living room.

We both turn to look at her.

"Spero che inizierete il Natale con qualche buona notizia." She says reaching out to put a hand on my stomach. I hope you're starting off the Christmas with some good news.

I bite my tongue.

Don't argue.

"Mama non posso farlo, non sono incinta." I say squeezing Gio's hand. Mom, I can't do this. I'm not pregnant.

She gasps and looks down at my stomach.

"Sei ingrassato." She leaves the living room and I glance up at Gio. You have put on weight.

"Why are you letting her say that to you?" He asks.

I shrug not really knowing what to say.

"She's so rude, and you let her." He says.

I shake my head, not wanting this conversation and head into the kitchen where Matteo, Rosie and Rocco are.

Rocco is on edge he hasn't seen any of our parents since he killed their brother, aka his father.

I don't think they'll stay that long.