|Chapter Thirty-One|

Like the day before, Seraphiel drops me off at the bottom of the glass stairs, I don't feel the same nerves I felt yesterday when I ascended the glass steps.  I don't really feel anything.  I don't know what the Creator could possibly have left to say, but I wasn't interested in it.  I'm only here because I feel like I don't have another choice, despite Seraphiel and the Creator both telling me this is my choice.

I pull the tall glass door open with a confidence I don't feel.  The glass is cool under my feet, and I think I could have at least put on shoes.  I should have showered, changed my clothes, if for nothing else other than clarity and normalcy, but I can't turn back now.

The Creator and Gabe are entwined intimately, more so than they were yesterday and again I think they must be lovers.  The pair stand to greet me.  The Creator takes my face in his hands, it's a friendly gesture, but I don't feel friendly with the Creator and I have to fight the urge to pull away.

"I'm glad you decided to join us," they say gently, releasing my face as quickly as they took it in their hands.  "Even if you feel like you don't have a choice," the Creator punctuates the sentence with a wink.

"Come," Gabe beckons, leading us into another room.  The walls are wall to wall windows that over looks the gardens and lake, it appears to be a dining room with a small table that is also made of the same blue glass everything else is.  The chairs are a plush blue velvet like the couches were, and they're inviting in a way the table isn't.  

The table is full of every food imaginable.  There are pastries and fruits and cheeses and waffles and chicken and fresh coffee.  The room smells sweet and savory, punctuated by the bitterness of the coffee.  I don't feel hungry, but my mouth still waters, despite the situation.

Gabe pours me coffee and hands it to me, while the Creator piles food onto a plate.  Being served by an omnipotent being is unsettling.  I say nothing as they usher me into a seat and place the food and coffee in front of me.

"I know it's a bit of an adjustment, and you won't feel hungry but the food is delicious," Gabe tells me softly.

My stomach roils in defiance, but I do sip the coffee to be polite.  I clear my throat, "you said you had more to tell me."

The Creator shares a secretive smile with Gabe, "How did you like your new home?" the Creator asks, ignoring my statement.

"You can't distract me with pretty things and brunch, I want answers," I snap, slamming my fists into the table.  I must have superhuman strength now, as the glass table shatters under the force.  Gabe's hand that is holding a pastry hovers mid air as he glances to the Creator.  "I- I didn't know, I'm sorry."

The Creator waves me off as they snap their fingers and the brunch spread is back in place, "you, my dear, are a little different than you were yesterday."

"What does that mean?"

"I was hoping we could have a nice meal and retire to the sitting room for this conversation, but maybe we should speed it up."

"I don't want food, I want to know why you keep speaking in circles," I demand.

"Gabe, can you give us the room?"

"Of course," Gabe says, kissing the Creator and looking at me apologetically before leaving the same way we came in.  I felt uneasy without him here as a buffer.

"I know he makes you more comfortable, but this is between the two of us.  What do you want to know?"

"I want to know everything.  What's going to happen to earth now that the sacrifice is made, is Allison okay?  Will she be safe?  And Noah, why can't he come here?  What is going to happen to Uriel?"