|Chapter Thirty|

I'm not sure what I thought paradise would look like, I don't think I thought of it at all as I didn't believe in an afterlife, but there's an overwhelming sense of calm here. I don't know if it's the presence of the man beside me and his vow to avenge my parents deaths, or if it's the place itself. The blinding almost blue of the light and the soft sand beneath my feet. Flocks of people lounge by a bright blue lake, the water a milky blue that I can't see under. They turn and watch us as I'm escorted to the Creator. None of these people have wings and I wonder if they are keeping them to themselves, or if they don't have any. I keep my mind on anything other than my march to death. I guess I could already be dead, I almost hope that is true, it was painless. Physically anyway, emotionally I felt like I was split in half. The other half was still with Noah back at the gates.

Was he still there? Waiting for me to be done, or had he gone back to earth? Maybe he was drowning his feelings with Cass. He would forget me soon, I was only with him for a millisecond of his existence. He would move on, and I was only a little smug he wouldn't be able to move on with Lilith.

I turn my attention back to my surroundings, the sand runs out into a blue glass road that is cold under my feet. I roll my eyes as I gaze up to a glass castle, the same blue tint as the glass road. I know we are at the end of the road, literally. The calm I had been feeling was gone and I desperately wanted to turn back. I wanted to turn around and sprint back to Noah.

"I can't go any further," the man in the blue robe says, stopping at the bottom of the steps. "They are expecting you."

"Right, underlings are not allowed in the giant glass castle," I roll my eyes.

"Don't go too hard on them," he winks at me and waves.

There are 25 glass steps leading up to clear double doors that stand 5 times my height. I crane my neck to gaze up when I make it before the doors, despite the glass appearance, I can't see through the doors at all. I take a deep breath and yank open the doors. I expect them to be heavy, but they open with ease and shut by themselves.

My footsteps echo against the high walls as I walk along a long open foyer, there's no where to go but straight down the long hallway. I can hear raucous laughter from deep in the hallway and I follow the sounds. I'm so pleased the Creator is having the time of their life while I'm bringing myself to be slain. The walls in this corridor are also glass, but like the doors I can't see through them. There's nothing hanging on the walls, no carpet or rugs or statues, nothing of personality anywhere.

I finally reach the end of the hallway, two people are sitting on a luxurious blue velvet sofa, their bodies angled toward each other in an intimate gesture. The two of them are close, whether platonically or intimately.

"Ah! There she is!" One of them calls out, I think it must be the Creator, they have feminine and masculine features, morphing from one to the other before my eyes in a fluid movement. I don't know what I had in my head, maybe an old white guy that was generally a terrible person.

"Here I am," I say awkwardly, because I am not as happy to be here as they are to receive me. Besides my own beef with the Creator, I can't forget what they did to Noah. They killed his brother when he was trying so desperately to save him.

"Come, sit," they wave and it's not a request, even if the words are said conversationally.

I take a seat on the loveseat opposite the pair, perched on the edge in case I need to bolt. Although, I don't know where I would even go. I can't outrun this thing I've agreed to do.

"You don't have to be scared, I know you have a lot of misinformation, but I'm here to clear all of that up."

I open and close my mouth, I don't know how to respond to that. What do they mean by misinformation?