Chapter 4: Teamwork!

~ The class stepped off the bus, spreading out. Some of them engaged in conversations, others just looked over their gear.~

Huggins: *she stepped off of the bus as it drove away. She checked her clipboard before looking back up at the class.* "Alright everybody, welcome to City Grounds Alpha! As some of you may know, the school has multiple training grounds, each based off of locations that you would come across as a real hero." *she gestured at the area around her. It was supposed to resemble a suburban area, with small shops, duplexes, apartment complexes, etc.* "For today, we'll be using this building here." *she then pointed to an abandoned office building* "You'll divide into teams of four and engage in combat. Your objective is to capture or to incapacitate the opposing team. Now, be mindful that you are being graded. Unnecessary roughness won't be tolerated. Now, we suspected that some of you would end up getting hurt regardless, so we got one of the members of the school's recovery squad to join us, please welcome Mr. Recovery!"

Mr. Recovery: *he was startled. Eating a sandwich on a nearby bench. He gave a meek wave and looked down at the ground.* "H- Hey everyone..."

~At that moment, the class all felt a sense of disappointment towards the man~

Mr. Recovery: *As though he could practically sense what the students were feeling, he slumped on the bench.* "Kids these days are so harsh..."

Huggins: "Ahem, well, why don't we get to the drawings shall we? You'll draw from this box and either get a red card or a blue card, with a number on top. That's the team you'll be on for this assignment." *she held out a box with a hole in the top, big enough for someone's arm to fit in and not see the inside*

~As the students began drawing their "lots", they separated into their groups. Until eventually Kai, being the very last student, drew their card~

Kai: *He looked at his card. A red card with a number "2" on it. He looked up into the group he'd been put in, seeing Kyoge, Amy, and Mikate. He smiled and walked over towards them.* "Hey...guys..."

~Amy and Mikate were engaged in a fierce staring contest~

Kyoge: "Finally, someone I know who isn't...well..."*He gestured to the two who were fighting like animals* "That..." *This comment resulted from boos from both Mikate and Amy, causing him to chuckle.* "Lucky Draw?"

Kai: *He nodded, looking from Kyoge, back to the other two, then looked at Kyoge again.* "Maybe not so lucky as I thou-" *he was hit by a familiar amber and orange helmet*

Amy: "Not-So-Lucky my ass!" *she retracted from her throwing stance and smirked* "Hehe"

Mikate: *he looked from Amy, to Kai, then back again* "Maybe that was too much!?!?"

Kyoge: "I think 'maybe' is stressing it... He's flat out on the ground!" *He was astounded by the things stupidity could accomplish*

Kai: *He sat up rubbing his head* "That hurt!" *he groaned before picking up Amy's helmet and tossing it back at her* "Please don't use it as a weapon again."

Amy: *She easily caught the helmet* "No promises" *she grinned as she put the helmet back on and secured it into place.*

Huggins: "Alright, if your card has a number one on it, please come see me so we can get your trial going..." *She gave instructions for the first group of students, something about the blue side getting to go inside and set up before the red side enters, and about how the trial doesn't start until a buzzer sounds.*

Kyoge: "Yo, lets go over our abilities real quick so we aren't going blind in this fight-"

Mikate: *he quickly spoke up, giving no one else a chance to talk before he did* "Good Idea, I'll go first. My technique is Gravity-Manipulation. Basically, I can change the gravity within certain spaces, or for just specific people." *he let out a triumphant huff*

Kyoge: "You're damn eager aren't ya..."

Amy: "Okay then, I'll go next, mine is Status. In a nutshell, I can apply a status of my choosing towards anyone or thing that I touch. Each one only lasts about 1-3 minutes though. And I can only apply a maximum of 3 status effects to someone or something." *She turned to face Kai* "Your turn...dweeb."

Kai: *He flinched at the word "dweeb", then took a hard swallow before speaking* "I have an incredibly rare technique called All Star, I don't understand much about it myself. Right now, all I know about it is that I can turn the air around me into super powered attacks, while at the same time purifying said air. It just works." *he fidgeted with his hands, looking at his gloves and made a finger flicking motion, but not actually using his power.* "These gloves allow me to (blah blah)"

Amy: "Jeez dude, you sure do talk a lot! We get it, you can freaking punch the crap out of someone!"

Mikate: *he turned to face Kyoge* "That just leaves you dude-"

~A buzzer sounded, initiating the start of the first groups' assessment~

Kyoge: "Heh, I guess you'll hafta witness it yourself. Amy correct? You're my partner. Alright I'm gonna go watch the first fight!"

Kai: *He looked from Mikate, to Kyoge, and back.* "So we aren't going to formulate a plan of attack or anything? Try to at least learn something about our oppon-" *Nervous, he bit his tongue* "D-OW!!!" *He put his hand to his mouth*

Amy: "Well here's what I suggest, when the trial starts, why don't me and Kyoge here go all stealthy like, and eavesdrop on them to learn their skills? Then we'll return to you with what we know?" *She looked at the Kai and Mikate, watching as the two looked at each other then nodded* "Good. I'll go observe the first groups' trial, I heard they got this fire guy who's crazy strong!" *She wandered off to the observing deck and pushed her way through the crowd of students*

Mikate: "Don't worry partner, you can count on me!" *He leaned closer to Kai and whispered, although nobody else was around* "Also, since we're teammates now, you can call me Mika for short if you want."

Kai: *He looked to his partner as he cradled his mouth, and he thought to himself ". . . what?!?!" Purely confused as to why his partner would randomly tell him this, he just stook a thumbs up*

Mikate: *He grinned and gave a thumbs up right back* "Gee-Hee"

Kai: *He shook his head and walked over to where the students were observing the first match, it seemed a little one sided to the blue team though...*

~The screen showed a boy with black, spiky hair and pale skin covered in blue flames. He was using those flames to flush out the opposing team members that wouldn't dare stand up to the heat. There was one, however, that managed to stick her ground. The two fought for a short time, until finally, the girl had to submit. A buzzer sounded, declaring the end to the first groups' test. Blue Group 1 had officially won.~

~12 minutes later~

Kai: *As Ms. Huggins went over the after report with Group 1, he could only think about how that one guy practically wiped out the enemy with ease* "Seeing a power like that is enough to unnerve anybody... Blue Flames? Is there a limit to how hot he can deal with it before needing a break? Can he increase or decrease the intensity of his flames at will or is it set in stone? What about his teammates? How well does he work with teammates who can't stand up to the heat? It looked like the flames circulated throughout the entire building... He can also compress the fire, so he's got to have a mastery with it...Maybe he trained incredibly hard during his middle school days? Can he control the fire at a distance? What if he was able to direct the flames away from his teammate?..."

~As he was going through his mental analysis, their teacher cut him off.~

Huggins: "Alright, Red Group 2, you'll be following Mr. Recovery for your trial."