Arc 3 - Chapter 1

Subaru: "And last, stretch your arms high in the sky for the big finish—Victory!— Victory!"

He listened to the giddy voices as he wiped the sweat off his brow. Subaru raised both hands high as he spoke his trademark phrase. A chorus followed, ending another morning's workout. The people who joined him in his exuberant radio calisthenics were residents of Arlam Village, the one closest to Roswaal Manor. Probably half the village was present.

Subaru's cheeks softened without him realizing it at the sight of the familiar buoyant faces. He wordlessly lowered his gaze a little, unable to watch them for a few moments.

Subaru had suggested teaching Japanese radio calisthenics to help the village, where scars from the recent Mabeast crisis were still fresh. This had improved his reputation among the otherworldly residents and exploded into a village-wide movement. At first, Subaru had been worried about the lack of participants. But seeing the children who had been victims of the Mabeast attack enjoy themselves made him feel it was all worth it.

The customs of his homeland were not to be underestimated. Radio calisthenics weren't the only popular tradition...

Subaru: "Okay, you brats, line up! It's stamp time!"

Subaru raised his voice while taking out a raw potato with one end sliced flat. Subaru dipped the flat end into an ink container, then pressed it onto the sheets of paper that the queued-up children held out eagerly. The very in-demand "potato stamp" recorded that day's fruits of labor.

Subaru: "So how about it? In another week we'll start the long-awaited, much-requested event, Monday Puck. The highlight will be those floppy ears."

Village Kid 1: "The kitty's so cute!"

Village Kid 2: "He's wonderful!"

Village Kid 3: "He's adorable!"

He'd stolen the potato-stamp idea from radio calisthenics during summer break back home. A lot of kids had fun guessing what was going to be on that morning's stamp. Subaru thus used his oddly dexterous fingers to engage their young minds.

After a time, his pleasant chat with the villagers came to a close. Subaru waved to them and went on his way. He approached a tree at the edge of the village square, wearily calling out to the girl leaning against the trunk in the shade.

Subaru: "Ahh, that wore me out. Anyway, sorry to keep you waiting, Emilia-tan."

Emilia: "No, it's all right. I see you worked hard, Subaru."

Emilia smoothed her silver hair with a charming smile, readjusting the hood she wore low over her face.

Emilia: "The villagers seem much happier these days, and it's all thanks to you, Subaru."

Subaru: "It's no big deal. I just showed them how to do some healthy exercises that get the blood flowing. But I feel bad making you come with me every morning, day after day."

Emilia: "That's okay. You're not in tip-top shape yet, and Ram and Rem can't come because of their work at the mansion. Besides, I really don't mind doing this."

Subaru: "As in, you don't mind spending your mornings with me?"

Emilia: "Pfft, not that. More like...I like being even a tiny bit involved with the villagers I never used to come in contact with. I think maybe...I drew a line between us until now."

He could make out a small blush on Emilia's face under her hood. The lovely sight warmed Subaru's cheeks before he even realized what was happening.

Lately, Emilia had often gone with him to the village as soon as she finished her daily chitchats with the minor spirits, returning together after Subaru completed the morning workout routine. For about fifteen minutes, he and Emilia would walk side by side on the way from the village back to the mansion. Subaru treasured these rare moments more than anything.