Arc 2 - Chapter 1

Subaru walked slowly behind Emilia as they headed for the dining room. He was trying to think of the right words to use. How would he convince the lord of the manor that he was telling the truth? Of course, he wasn't the only one who required convincing.

Rem and Ram, the twin sisters who worked at the mansion as maids, also needed to be convinced. Especially Rem. She could smell the Scent of the Witch on Subaru, which had made her believe he was part of the Witch cult. They're an organization that worships the Witch of Envy. The cult had hurt the maid sisters in the past, although how and to what extent, Subaru was unaware. But he could tell it had left a deep impression on Rem. In his previous loop, Rem had tortured him for information. Failure to convince her, and her sister Ram, would mean death.

???: "Yawn..."

As they walked down the corridor, a floating grey cat materialized out of nowhere, yawning. That was Puck, Emilia's contracted spirit and self-proclaimed father.

Emilia: "Good Morning Puck. Did you sleep well?"

Puck: "Yawn... Good morning Lia. Are you ok? Things got really dicey last night. Oh... Good Morning to you to Subaru. You seem to have made it out alright."

The cat spirit addressed Emilia with concern. However, when it came to Subaru, he was indifferent.

Subaru: "Good morning Puck. And yes, I'm alright. Thank you for being so worried."

Puck: "Hey, look I get where you're coming from. But for beautiful young girls, a scratch can be devastating, whereas men will show off their injuries as a badge of honor. And since my daughter is oh so cute, I need to make sure she doesn't suffer even a scratch."

Subaru: "I want to be upset at that statement, but honestly, I totally agree with you. We can't let Emilia-tan's beauty get damaged."

Puck: "I'm glad you're in agreement."

While the two were having a ridiculous exchange, the subject of their comments had her face turning as red as a tomato.

Emilia: "Cut it out! Why are you two bonding over something so stupid?"

She put her head in her hands, trying to cover her face so as not to show off her embarrassment.

Subaru: "E.M.T."

As Subaru gazed upon the embarrassed girl in front of him, he shouted something that confused the Silver-haired girl and cat that accompanied him.

Puck: "E.M.T? What does that mean Subaru?

Subaru: "It means Emilia Major Angel."

Puck: "I see. I do agree that my daughter is definitely an angel, but I'll have you know I get to see her angelic way more than the average person."

Subaru: "Well then, I'll just have to spend more time with her."

Puck: "While I appreciate your resolve, I have father privileges. So no matter what, I'll always be ten steps ahead of you."

The weird conversation between the duo kept going on as they marched toward the manor's dining room.

Emilia: "We're finally here, so can you two stop discussing embarrassing topics now? We need to have a serious talk with Roswaal."

Emilia, who was currently doing her best impression of an appa, turned around and scolded the two idiots.

Subaru: "Sorry Puck, we'll have to continue our little competition later."

Puck: "Sure thing Subaru, but I won't hand over my daughter so easily. Also, what do you need to discuss with Roswaal so badly? I can sense from your and Lia's emotions it's serious."