Arc 2 - Chapter 6

Subaru: "I recognize that ceiling."

Subaru awoke to a scene he had seen before. He thought he had died again for a moment, but when he looked to his side...

Subaru: "Emilia?"

She was sound asleep at his side.

Puck: "Well well, look who's finally woken up."

Suddenly in the middle of his vision, a tiny grey cat spirit appeared.

Subaru: "Seems like I didn't die this time. That's a relief."

Puck: "It was quite a close call. I'm shocked you managed to survive."

Once he said that, Subaru suddenly could feel pain radiating throughout his body. He felt pain in his arms and legs when he tried moving them even the tiniest amount. If he shifted his body weight even slightly, he could feel the wounds in his back start to reopen.

Puck: "If it wasn't for the maid with the blue hair, you would be much worse for wear."

Subaru: "Wait, is Rem okay?"

Puck: "Her Oni form allows her wounds to heal very quickly. So she's fine."

Subaru: "Thank god."

A deep sigh of relief left Subaru's mouth. He didn't know how he would feel if he heard that she had gotten herself severely injured for his sake.

Subaru: "So, what happened after I passed out?"

It was nighttime when he passed out, currently, it was day. Although he couldn't tell what time it was.

Puck: "Oh not much. Betty removed the curse on the kids. Then Lia and Betty spent all night healing you. You ended up with a bunch of curses on you from those Mabeasts, so Roswaal had to go into the forest and kill every last one of them he could find."

Subaru: "Wait, that's actually a lot of things!"

At Subaru's outburst to his rambling, Puck chuckled.

Puck: "Well everything is resolved now, so there's no need for you to worry."

Subaru: "Well are you sure? You said I got a bunch of curses from those Mabeasts."

Puck: "The curse won't activate if the one who placed it dies. Since Roswaal killed a bunch of them, you'll be fine."

Subaru: "Seems like I owe Roswaal a bunch after this."

He'd gotten hurt and someone had to save him again. Just how much trouble was he causing for others?

Puck: "I don't think that will be much of a problem. You helped stop a Mabeast attack on the village and helped make sure none of his staff were killed. I'd say it's him who owes you."

While Puck's assessment of the situation was correct, it still didn't sit right with Subaru.

Subaru: "I get what you're saying, but I just can't help but feel like I was completely useless. I couldn't fight or protect anyone. I just walked beside everyone and thought I was making a difference. But Roswaal and the others did a bunch of the heavy lifting. I could have just stayed back at the mansion and they probably would have taken care of everything themselves."

Rem healed the kids and fought off the Mabeasts. Ram tracked down the location of the last missing kid and bought time for Rem to arrive. Beatrice had removed the cruses. And Roswaal had killed the remaining Mabeasts.

Puck: "But without you, we wouldn't have known any of that was going to happen."

Subaru looked back up at Puck. He didn't expect to hear those words, especially from him.