Chapter Two: The Bidding

While a lot of the others went off to search for their friends, Miles considered it in his best interest to stay behind at the shrine—for now. However, the only other person who had stayed behind was listening to the radio not too far away from him.

It felt weird, sitting here, not talking. But what in the hell was he supposed to say to someone like Giorno Giovanna?

The static of the old timey radio announcer came through in strange bursts. Giorno sighed as music began to play.

For some reason, Miles decided to try and talk to him. "That guy doesn't make much sense. All the stuff he says is outdated."

"Could be from a different time period," Giorno suggested. "You're from 2023, correct? You weren't even born in the year I'm from."

"Oh real?" Miles asked more out of filling the void.

There was a minute of silence, "You weren't Spiderman in 2001, were you?"

"W-what?"

Giorno was quiet for a minute. "It comes with the territory—knowing everyone's secrets. Don't worry, your secrets are safe with me, unless you betray me. That would be unwise, Miles Morales."

His glare was almost as paralyzing as Miles' own electric abilities. Almost. If he hadn't beaten an entire spider society, it might've shaken him. But Miles knew his worth.

"So, you're not going to tell me what you're after," Miles said casually.

"Depends," Giorno shrugged. "Maybe I will, maybe I won't. The question is: can I trust you?"

"I was about to ask you the same question," Miles said, staring back at him.

It was quiet again. A kind of quiet Miles was getting tired and frustrated with.

"I've never been one for trusting people with too much power. It leads to a lot of corruption. I had a dream, and I accomplished it. But I didn't do it alone. You remind me of someone I met a long time ago. Someone I believe Josuke Higashikata is looking for now. Honest and reliable. You've helped Miss Hino around the shrine the most, tried to play the mediator without bullshitting anyone, and you've kept neutral on everything."

"If I'm going to trust you," Miles said, crossing his arms. "How'd you find out I'm Spiderman?"

"I'm trying to tell you; I'm not in league with Miguel O'Hara, if that's what you're worried about," Giorno said with a sigh. "I have no reason to lie to you, Miles. I gain nothing that way. Think about it."

And he did. However, should he just trust this guy who gave off serious sketchy vibes?

"What do you want, Giorno?"

"Help. I need help in finding the monster who almost killed me. That should not have happened. Ever. I can't die. Not when I've just made everything right. I can't let all that work; all of that damage be for nothing."

"What attacked you?" Miles asked, softening a little. I mean, he wasn't a sociopath. Maybe Giorno had been through more than he was letting on. Miles would keep a healthy guard but not a hard heart—or too hard of a heart.

"It was a sort of demon. Tore right through my chest—all surface wounds. Even so, I still couldn't summon Golden Experience."

"Which is?" Miles asked expectantly.