twenty-two ~ pointing fingers

After standing before the Maze doors staring at nothing but the empty passageway Thomas and Minho had descended through, Londyn turned, almost jumping out of her skin when she saw Teresa standing there.

"Sorry," Londyn said with a hard breath, placing a hand on her chest. "You scared me."

"You okay?" Teresa asked, approaching her with her hands falling at her sides.

Londyn nodded, her hands clutching her arms. "Yeah. Just a little worried about them today. Things haven't been normal in the Maze lately."

Teresa put her arm around Londyn, almost as if they had known each other for years. "I'm sure they'll be okay. We just need to take your mind off it. What do you do around here all day, for fun?"

"Well..." Londyn thought. "Usually, the night the Greenie arrives, we have a party. Otherwise, we just hang out, kid around, and work."

"Wow, Teresa replied enthusiastically. "For three years, that's what everyone's been doing here?"

"Pretty much, until Thomas came along," Londyn shrugged, wondering how the days had passed so fast despite doing the same thing like clockwork every single day. "We had a routine."

"Well, well, well," Gally interrupted, a spiteful shadow hanging over him. His muscled arms crossed, he wandered up to them, his gaze particularly fixed on Teresa. "You wanna share what's so interesting?"

"No," Londyn scoffed, before she bit her tongue. "You wanna share what your problem is with us? Come on, Gally, I thought we were friends."

"Yeah, so did I," he retorted. "Thomas and Minho are just covering for you. Everyone's talking."

"What, you don't trust me anymore?"

Gally shook his head. "No, I don't, because I think you know more than you're letting on. You told George you were having flashbacks last year, I'm guessing he was right about you being here for a different reason than the rest of us."

"If I knew anything that made enough sense to help us get out of here, I would have told you."

"Oh, so you do know something?"

Stammering, Londyn groaned. "Gally, come on. Don't do this. We've known each other over a year. When have I ever done anything other than try to help make this place work, and find a way out?"

"Why were you sent here? That's my question," Gally asked. "Why, when George got stung, did he say that he saw you, that he knew what you did? Just answer that, I mean, can't be that hard if you've not done anything wrong, right?"

"I don't know!" Londyn insisted, glancing around to see other boys standing behind Gally. "Who haven't you told?! Gally, I trusted you."

Suddenly feeling extremely vulnerable, Londyn took a breath. If it wasn't for Teresa, she'd have run into the Maze to look for Minho and Thomas.

"And you," Gally's narrowed eyes alternated onto Teresa. "You're awfully quiet. Anything you'd like to add?"

Teresa shook her head. "Why would Thomas and Minho cover for us? None of us know anything. They're out there right now, trying to make sense of all of this. What are you doing?"

"Why, you little--" Gally marched forward, when Londyn slid in front of Teresa. Though she was much shorter than Gally, the betrayal inside of her made her feel ten feet tall. 

"Back the hell off, Gally," Londyn warned. "Just because Alby's not around, doesn't mean you can break the rules."

"I'd like to see you try getting me banished."