twenty-one ~ it's all for you, baby

"Who's there?!" Teresa cried as the heard a thud while Londyn was climbing up the tower to see her, the hairson the back of her neck sticking up as she feared it would be someone she didn't yet know.

"It's just me," Londyn soothed cautiously, spotting Teresa curled up in the furthest corner, her knees drawn to her chest and her pupils dilated out of fear. "Thought I'd come check on you."

"I'm fine," Teresa replied, though the shakiness in her voice said otherwise.

"Not such a great first day, huh?" Londyn asked, sitting down next to her. "It's okay, my first day wasn't great either."

"Why are we here?" Teresa then asked, staring off blankly into the distance. "Thomas told me that the three of us are the only ones who have had... dreams..."

"Flashbacks, I call them," Londyn said. "You've had them, too?"

Teresa nodded. "Mostly just... flashing, and hearing voices. Feeling like I was drowning."

Londyn gave a single nod, trying to think of a possible answer to all of this, but finding herself in the same place she was the first time she had flashbacks. 

"How long have you been here?" Teresa asked, and though she asked a lot of questions, Londyn was starting to feel a lot less nervous.

"Exactly a year and a half out of the three years since this started," Londyn explained. "I don't know why I was sent here, what I did."

"What do you mean, what you did?" Teresa frowned. 

"When people get stung... by the Grievers," Londyn swallowed, unsure of how Teresa would take the explanation. "They go through what we call the Changing. Gladers have said they saw things from before this place, some of which told me that I had something to do with it."

"What could you have done? What could I have done, then?"

"I don't know," she told her, and then she noticed how Teresa was staring at her, as if she couldn't put her finger on something. "Teresa, do I look familiar to you?"

Hesitantly, Teresa nodded, and Londyn's stomach dropped. "Where did you see me? Do you remember?"

"No, I'm not sure," Teresa shook her head, raking her hands through her dark messy hair. 

"You knew Thomas, too, right?" Londyn remembered, and she nodded. "Do you remember anything else?"

"No..."

"Look," Londyn began after a moment of silence, her lips twisting for a second. "I want you to know that if you need anything, you can come to me. We've gotta stick together here."

"Thank you." Teresa smiled, and it was the first genuine lift of her cheeks in the time she'd been there. "What do you do here?"

"I'm a Runner," Londyn told her. "I run the Maze almost every day looking for a way out. I'm sure Thomas told you about it."

She gave a simple nod, her smile fading. "And you haven't found anything?"

"We might've now, but it's gonna take a lot more work."

"Oh..." her soft voice trailed off.

"You should get some sleep," Londyn then suggested. "You've had a hard day."

"I can't," Teresa shook her head, her eyes starting to water in fear. "What if..."

Londyn knew exactly what she meant without her even having to finish her sentence, and she leaned closer to Teresa. "I know what you mean, I had that fear, okay? I lived that nightmare when I first got here. But, I can assure you, nothing has happened since. You're gonna sleep in my old room, and there's a lock on the door, okay?"