In the Nic of Time

Start from the beginning

Holographic squares flew out of the device and formed a Mobian next to the table. She was a brown and black lynx wearing a purple dress. Even though she was simply a hologram, she didn't seem static-y at all. In fact, she looked solid. Jason just stared at her.

"This is Nicole," Sally introduced.

"Hello," the hologram greeted with a light bow. "You must be Jason."

The human kept staring. "A holographic A.I.?"

Sally nodded. "She's great for hacking and looking stuff up. Plus, she's been really good company."

"I do anything and everything to ensure you the highest satisfaction."

"That's amazing," Jason chuckled.

"There's more," Sally cooed. "Shake her hand."

The human slowly turned his head to stare at her. "Shake her hand? A hologram's hand?"

The chipmunk just smiled. Jason nodded and looked at Nicole, who already had her hand outstretched. Jason slowly reached out and took her hand, expecting him to phase through her. Only he didn't. His eyes went wide when he felt solid mass and fur.

"What?" He asked in disbelief. He let go of her hand and slowly reached his hand out further to poke the lynx's cheek. "Is this real? How is this possible?"

"My father embedded a power ring inside this device," Sally explained, holding up the portable computer. "It allows Nicole the power of corporealization."

"Corporealization?" Jason asked, pulling his hand away. "I can't... Can she take damage like this?"

"Ask her. She's fully capable of conversation."

"Right," Jason said as he focused on the lynx.

"So, can you get hurt like this?"

"Yes, but it is not like how you would feel pain. If I take too much damage, I must retreat back into the device so my programming doesn't become corrupted. My range is also limited to the device."

"I see," Jason said as he took this all in. "What if you carried it?"

"Well..." Nicole began. "That would significantly improve my range of movement."

"So, what can you do like this?"

"Everything you can do I can do."

Jason leaned back in his chair. "This is... I still can't believe there's a solid hologram standing in front of me."

"You'll get used to it," Sally chuckled.

"I would like to remain like this for a while," Nicole said with a smile. "Stretch my legs, as you would put it."

Sally nodded. "Alright."

Nicole gave another light bow before she turned and walked away. Jason watched her leave before he looked at Sally. "So... combat-wise?"

"She's more supportive. Like I said, hacking."

"Well, I count her as member number eleven. Which is great, because we need all the help we can get."

**********

The Plaza

Whisper sat on the floor in front of the TV in her underwear, stretching as she watched a news report on Fiona's attack. Thankfully, her target wasn't in the area so she could still get information out of him. She took note of what the red fox looked like and observed her fighting style. When she was done, she stood up and went to take a shower to wash the sweat off. As the water washed over her, she was able to think more clearly and formulate a plan. She knew she had to find a way inside the Freedom Fighters' tower, one way or another.