Clarrisa's POV

I rushed to the door but caught myself just in time before I could make a fool of myself. I didn’t have to act excited to see him like I usually did. This time, I was upset with him, and he was probably still upset with me.

I wasn’t sure what had brought him to my door, but I was still happy he’d come. I slowly pulled it open after promising myself to behave. I gazed up at him and tried not to be affected by him like I usually am.

However, it was a total failure. He looked like he’d just come out of the shower. His hair was dripping wet, and the white vest clung to his chest in the sexiest way possible.

Damon’s eyes fell on the bikini still on my body. He frowned for a second before his eyes darkened a shade.

“Why haven’t you changed?” he asked. “It’s been hours since you left the beach house. What have you been doing all this time?”

I took a deep breath; be calm, Clarissa, don’t let his words bring out the worst in you. I was tempted to tell him the truth, but according to Autumn, I had to take things slowly with Damon.

“I’ve been in bed, sleeping,” I lied.

He looked around my room as though he was searching for proof that I was telling the truth.

“Did you get any more…” he paused to look at me, searching my eyes for something, but I didn’t know what.

“Any more?” I asked, waiting for him to continue.

“Nightmares,” he finished. “Did you get any more nightmares?”

I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at him.

“Why do you care?”

His jaw tightened. “I always care. When have I ever not cared about your well-being?”

“This morning,” I reminded him. “When you told me I couldn’t spend another night in the same bed with you.”

He swallowed. “You know why I said those words to you. Sleeping in the same bed as me is inappropriate. I said no to you because of that, not because I didn’t want to be there for you. I told you that Autumn would gladly stay with you if you need someone with you at night.”

I narrowed my eyes. “You don’t get it, do you? I don’t want Autumn, Damon. I want you. You’re the one I’m closer to. You’re the one that makes everything easier for me. You’re the only one that would help me while I’m going through something that terrifying. Autumn, with her kind heart, would try her best, but it wouldn’t be the same as having you there.”

His breath hitched at my confession. He eventually sighed and looked down the corridor. Maybe he was checking to see if anyone was coming our way. He turned his attention back to me, and I could see the inner battle that he was having within himself.

“I don’t know what you want me to do, Clarissa. I’m always willing to make everything better for you, but this seems like something you can get into serious trouble for. We both can end up in deep trouble. I hate putting you in that situation, even if it’s to help you.”

I stepped closer to him, and his body stiffened at my nearness. I was so close that I could smell everything I loved about him.

“I don’t care about any of that,” I told him. “So please, do this for me. It’s what I want.”

I could hear his loud breathing and see the concern in the depth of his eyes. He was worried about me.

“I’m sorry, Clarissa,” he apologized. “It just seems too wrong. I could never forgive myself if you got into trouble for something I gave consent for. I’m supposed to know better. I’m the older one. I’m supposed to guide you and protect you.”

Here he was, acting like my big brother again. I didn’t want that. I didn’t want him to be a big brother; we were not siblings. I wanted him in a completely different way.

Why couldn’t he see that by now?

I angrily spun around and swung my hips as I made my way back to the bed.

“What is that on your rear end, Clarissa?” He demanded from across the room. His voice echoed throughout the room, and I froze.

My eyes widened. I looked down to see if I still had the cover-up on. Luckily, it was still there. However, it was twisted a little. Could he see the entire tattoo? I quickly adjusted it so that it was fully covering it again.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” I answered him, but I couldn’t hide the nervousness in my voice.

“CLARISSA,” he growled.

Why was he saying my name like that? My cheeks were hot as I placed my hands on them. Did he see it? Please tell me he didn’t; that would ruin everything.

I gasped when I heard his footsteps coming closer to me. What was wrong with me? Why didn’t I think about this when I got up from bed?

I didn’t know I could have ever been this stupid. His reaction told me that he most likely saw it, but I still wanted to believe that he didn’t.

I shivered when he grabbed my shoulders and slowly turned me around to face him. His hands on my skin were hot and felt like they were burning me. And I loved every second of it.

“Did you get a tattoo?” he asked me. My eyes widened. Does this mean that he saw the tattoo, or did he only get a glimpse of it?

“Clarissa,” he growled, growing impatient. “Tell me that my eyes are deceiving me. Tell me that you didn’t put ink on your beautiful skin.”

My body trembled at his tone. My beautiful skin?

That was the only thing my mind chose to hear. He thought my skin was beautiful?

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” he demanded.

“I didn’t put ink on my skin,” I lied. I knew he wouldn’t believe me, but it was worth a try. Judging by his choice of words, he hadn’t seen that the tattoo on my rear end was his name. That was the only good thing about this situation.

His breath rasped in his throat as he tried to find the right words to say to me.

“You’re lying,” he said between his shallow breaths.

“You’re lying to me, Clarissa. You’re fucking lying.”