Autumn's POV

Atticus slowly lets go of me as we near the house. I held onto his hand, I didn't want him to get hurt because of me.

I know I'm the one that convinced him to return, but it doesn't mean that it was an easy decision to make.

Hearing his mother's scream was all I needed to know that this was the right thing to do.

Whatever happened, I had to do everything I could to keep them all safe.

I still hear the terrifying shouts and screams, they're not making this easier for us.

Damon and Clarissa are among them, but I can't tell what they're saying. They're all expecting us to be gone by now, they don't know that we are back just for them.

Atticus leans over and gives a kiss on my forehead. His lips linger on my skin, and I gladly lean into him. Neither of us knew what was about to happen, and it was terrifying not knowing.

I attempt to move forward with him, but he puts out his hand and stops me before I can make another step. His eyes held an urgency to them that brought me to a complete stop.

He takes a deep breath, and I suck in one of my own. I knew what he was going to say before it left his mouth.

"Stay out here." He warns me. "Let me see what's happening inside first. If I think we need you, I will call you. If not, I want you to get as far away from here as possible."

As far away from here? As far away from him? I tilt my head to the side and frown at him.

He was crazy if he thought that I would leave him here with people that wanted to harm him and his family.

He was the man I'd been in love with for many years, the only man I'd ever loved, I would never leave him when he needed me. However, I knew I had to agree if I wanted him to leave.

The shout gets louder, and I begin to panic. We were running out of time. If we didn't get inside there now, his family would be in more danger than they already were.

"Are you listening to me?" Atticus asks, waiting for my response, he hasn't moved an inch.

The urgency in his voice has just increased, and I find myself nodding despite my desperation to keep him safe.

I knew the moment that I heard the overlords hurting the people I cared about no one would be able to stop me from joining in. Atticus's eyes are glued on my face, and his jaw clenches, he wants to believe I'm telling the truth. I try to keep an innocent expression on my face to make him feel less restless.

He takes another deep breath and slowly lets go of me. I watch as he walks backward a few steps, still looking at me, it seems like he's trying to memorize every little detail on my face.

I held my breath, how could I not love someone like him?

He still looks conflicted, but eventually, he turns and walks back into the house. I waited for a minute, letting him believe that I was truly listening to his request, but the moment that I thought it was okay for me to move, I was right behind him.

Atticus doesn't even bother trying to hide, he walks straight toward the enemies.

Why would he do that?

He told me that he was leaving me behind only to find out what was happening inside so that we would have a better idea of how to react.

He lied.

I couldn't exactly complain since I'd also lied to him. We were both lying to protect each other. My eyes scan the room once more. I feel a chill run down my spine.