Chapter 12

Verity

"And the self-inflicted bites on your hands aren't closing up?" Captain's rough tone cut the air, and I stiffened.

"No, sir...." Eren sounded defeated, his somber gaze glued to the table in front of him.

"If you can't turn into a titan, the mission to rebuild Wall Maria goes down the drain," Captain said, glaring at him, and Eren's face fell. "Do something about it. That's an order."

"Yes, sir...." Eren mumbled as Captain strolled past us to the side of the clearing, Petra following him close behind and chattering, a small smile on her face.

I looked at Eren, feeling horrible at the Captain's stark words. I knew Eren really tried to do his best, yet something just wasn't working out. Captain's command did nothing to help the situation and only put more pressure on the kid.

He is just a kid, isn't he?

Realization hit me like a punch to the throat. How old even was he? Thirteen? At his age, I would've given anything for someone to show any signs of support. Even just nice words would go a long way. It was so dark there, so lonely. I had no one but my broken self to rely on. The biting sting of loneliness never really dissolved. It only got subdued with the time and responsibilities – with my promise to Kenny. Distracting myself from the world's cruelty was a way to go on for me.

But it didn't have to be that for Eren.

"Don't take it so hard," Eld said, taking a sip from his flask.

"But...." Eren broke off suddenly, frowning.

"Well... It goes to show that you are more human than I thought...." Oluo blabbered, and I faced him, glowering. He raised his eyebrows at me in question, the bruise I'd left on his cheekbone shining different shades of yellow and brown.

"I prefer this to losing my life... It's not like it was for nothing," Eld dwelled on, screwing the cap back on the flask.

"Yeah... There are no such things as being too cautious," Gunther jumped in, watching Eren carefully.

"Hey, you've done it how many times now? Two, three? You can do it again," I said, turning to face Eren and cutting off everyone else at the table. He caught my eye and nodded, a grim glint in his eyes only deepening. I racked my brain, thinking of something else I could say to make him feel better.

"You know, when I was your age, I didn't even know how to throw a punch," I offered, my voice small and weak.

"But you must've been at the academy then," Eren replied, surprised.

"Yeah, well. I was a late bloomer, sorta speak," I offered him a small smile. "My... uncle taught me everything I know. It took a long while for him to get me to do anything properly. The first time I held a sword, I managed to cut my own palm with it," I chuckled at the memory, and the crease on Eren's forehead flattened.

"You are terrible at hand-to-hand combat, though. Did your uncle avoid that training then?" Oluo chimed in, and I turned to throw a glare at him.

"Do you want a symmetrical bruise on your left cheek? Because I believe the first one was proof enough that I could land a punch."

Gunther laughed, startling me. "She is right, you know."

Oluo raised his chin high and squinted at us. "The only reason why she managed to hit me was because I didn't expect it. And I do not hit women in return."

Gunther and I shared a long look and burst out laughing. Eren soon joined in, and I watched Oluo's face turn white as paper.

"Oh please, just don't start talking about the kill count again," Eld moaned, barely hiding his grin.