Chapter 2

Dabe

It's finally Sally's wedding and as I walk into the building, the room is beautifully decorated with flowers and candles, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.

I'm greeted by the sound of laughter and chatter, from every corner.

I spot my mom and aunties, and make a quick turn, but-

"Is that Daberechi." I thought to hide face but I got caught, I'm stopped by old aunties, "Ah ah, Small Daberechi of yesterday."

I make my way over to the table, where my mom and aunties are already seated, ready to rattle me.

"Good day, mom and aunties," I say with a subtle courtesy and a thin smile.

"You are blessed, my dear." They each reach to hug me, "How are you? Wow, you look so big now." One of my aunties adds, while I pretend not to notice my mom's glare, she makes it quite obvious that she hates my lifestyle, "How's America?" One of the other aunties asked.

"The same."

"When are you going to introduce us to your own husband? There's no more time, your biological clock is ticking."

"Don't mind her, she thinks she's still young." My mom adds.

"My dear, hurry up and marry, a husband is a woman's glory, forget all this new generation nonsense, it won't take you anywhere."

Telling them I don't plan on getting married is just going to kill them, so I just throw in another smile, "I hear you auntie, you make a good point, so if you would excuse me." I make an escape.

I make my way into the bridal room to find Sally, I enter the room and caught sight of her in the mirror, looking absolutely radiant in her white dress,

I pull an Oscar-worthy grin and walk up to her, "You look stunning, Sally."

She quickly turns around and hugs me,

"I think I'm gonna cry, I can't believe this is happening. I'm getting married." She pulls away to look at me tearfully, "I'm marrying literally the man of my dreams, can you believe it?"

"I can." I really can.

"But anyway, why are you late? How the hell are we going to find you a good husband if you keep showing up late."

"Wow, you sound just like my mom. I'm not looking for a husband, you of all people should know that."

"You say that now but in a few years when you're living alone with your cats, you're going to wish you took my advise and got yourself a husband." Just in time, a knock came on the door, and seconds after James, the groom's brother, popped up.

"They calling for the bride."

Sally squealed and squeezed my hands.

"Deep breaths." I remind her.

She nods and takes in a deep breath,

"James, can you please walk Dabe to the altar, she gets nervous." Sally shoves me forward, I turn to glare at her before walking out with James.

"Ready?"

I nod, unable to speak.

He takes my hand and together we walk toward the altar and anxious crowd, "Look at him, he looks like he's about to pass out."

I lift my eyes to the end of the aisle and catch his blazing gaze. My heart starts pounding in my chest as I lock his gaze. His eyes burning with intensity as he watches me approach him, his jaw clenched tightly.