"Are you here alone?"

"Yes?"

She reaches out of the ocean as she beckons me to come closer to the water. That was when I noticed her hand. All the fingers were webbed in this silvery-blue skin. Small scales seemed to lay like chainmail where flesh should have been!

"Come here!" She called out to me as I did not know if I should trust her.

It felt like a trap! The roles were reversed, now it was me scared of her. She seemed very vague and quite odd! For all I knew, she could be attempting to push me into The Cove and drown me. Yet, it did not feel like that was her intentions. She genuinely did seem frightened of me, and yet intrigued all at the same time.

Slowly creeping over the slippery stones, I crept closer to the edge until I noticed a strange silvery blue shape somewhere under the water. Compared to the darkness of the Cove's gravely floor and greenish water...it stood out like a sore thumb!

Looking back at her face, she looked to be 14 years of age, and remarkably beautiful! She had a perky nose, bluish-purple lips and her cheeks sparkled with drying salt crystals. Her eyes seemed very expressive, never once daring to blink.

"C—an you please not tell anyone that you saw me." she then asked as she watched me wearily. I noticed that she did not seem to have anything covering her chest. I couldn't see any bra or swimming outfit anywhere.

"Have you lost your shirt? Is that why you are scared?" I asked as she looked somewhat confused by my words.

"Your words confuse me." she said in response.

I pulled at my own top, grabbing the bra strap by accident, feeling the fabric smoosh my right budding breast painfully. I winced as I showed her an example.

"Something that covers you up? You do not know what a shirt is?"

"Oh!" she says, finally understands as she smiles "Those." She feels that she should know this, but becoming a mermaid has removed the names for clothing and fashion. "I do not need one of those. "

That was when I noticed that her chest was nude. I blushed at the sight of her own budding breasts. She was obviously more stacked than I was. They were normal for a girl of her age, but compared to my own two boobs, they might as well be C-cups!

"I see..." I finally say as I glance away, not sure what to think.

'She must be a foreigner.' For once in my life, I found myself somehow attracted to women...it was an odd feeling inside the pit of my stomach.

"Is something bothering you, duine?" she asked innocently, wondering if she could help.

"No, not really." I stammered "How did anyone not see you on the beach like that?" I wondered as I looked across the harbor to the group of boys heading back to the road with Poe in their grasps.

"Remember, I do not go onto land." She coyly answered.

Suddenly, I noticed something blue emerge from the water. It sparkled in the evening sunshine. It reminded me of a pair of swimming flippers floating amongst the greenish water, only, these seemed rather faded and translucent like a fish caudal.

Then I traced the flippers to the blue shape that was slowly surfacing behind the girl as she floated, due to breathing air. It looked very thick and scaly! It glistened just as brightly and appeared to be leading to somewhere upon the girl's lower-back. A frilly fin seemed to flap around in the water as it continued up her back, just ending at the base of her neck.

It then dawned on me what that blue thing really was. I was shocked, gasping in surprise as I pointed to the appendage, stunned as words slipped from my lips.