gobstones and gillyweed

"Happy New Year!" Everyone shouted

"Happy New Year!" Everyone shouted. Fireworks lit up the midnight sky in a bright technicolor show.

The New Year's party started in the Astronomy Tower and before the clock tower struck midnight, everyone made their way to the grassy hills, overlooking the black lake. Blankets were laid out for friends and lovers to sit on. Professor's stood around, keeping an eye on students, while enjoying the holiday themselves.
___

There had been no word from Sirius since Christmas and I could only hope he was ok. I received a letter from Regulus, he told me about just how busy it has been at the hospital. It was always that way at the start of the year but he loved to volunteer.

Dad visited one Sunday where the two of us met in Hogsmeade. He told me that Miss McCrea, the old lady who last Christmas had sold Reggie and I the picture frame, had died peacefully in her room upstairs above the shop. She had no children, no nieces or nephews to leave the shop to. Not a single living relative. In her will she had written that dad would keep the shop, and that was fine with him.

"I do like it," dad said. "It's peaceful and there's always a steady stream of customers."

"That's good!" I said, "I'm happy for you." I lifted my glass of butterbeer and took one long sip.

The old pub was busy with friends and couples. With dad being a long friend of Madam Rosmerta's we were shown upstairs where there were extra booths and tables, giving us a quiet place to catch up.

"You still have the house though? I asked.

Dad nodded, "yeah, I usually only go back on Saturday to check up on it. Water the plants, make sure everything is ok. It is easier to just wake up in the morning and already be at work," Dad said with a laugh." And with Regulus having been to busy to visit and with you gone, the house just felt to empty."

"Well you know I've only got, what is it? Five more years at Hogwarts after this? I'll be back before you know it! Then it'll be you and me in it again."

He took my hand and held tightly it, giving it a squeeze.  With a smile on his face he lifted his glass butterbeer and finished it off. Leaving the pub the two of us walked the streets of Hogsmeade, down to Honeydukes where the two of us stocked up on enough chocolate to last nearly a month.

We said goodbye and dad apparated home. I treaded along the wet stony path back to Hogwarts and I got there just in time for dinner.

"How was flying?" I asked Katie. Taking a seat beside her I began filling up a bowl of soup. I took a piece of bread from the table and spread some butter on it. I was starving after the long walk.

"It was fun! I love the challenge of flying when there's a fog," she said. "And I was able to convince Cormac to get on a broom!"
___

"Wingardium Leviosa." I said in a whisper. One of Ron's gobstones floated up into the air.