carriage in the cold

Bundled up in a coat, with my Gryffindor scarf wrapped tightly around my neck I'm blowing warmth into my hands to fight off the numbness that is spreading in my fingers

"Now everyone pick a brooms and come right back." Madam Hooch said. Most students followed her direction and walked toward the broom shed. Those who brought their own brooms stayed gathered around in the middle of the training ground. In my hand I held my firebolt which I got for my first birthday with dad.

"With the Triwizard Tournament there will be no quidditch matches this year, which also means no tryouts." Several second years in the class sighed. "But you being here is already showing something! None of you are required to be here, but yet you are. That is showing drive, passion and responsibility, those are three things we look for during tryouts." Madam Hooch said in attempt to raise spirits.

"Last term you mastered the basics. This term you will be working on bettering your agility while increasing your speed. Today we will just be focusing on the latter- now mount your brooms and make sure not to fly into each other!"

I threw my leg over my broom and with one push was flying. From my first lesson flying came so naturally it felt like I'd been doing it my whole life. I raced around the makeshift field several times before my old dorm mate, Katie Bell flew beside me.

"Hi!" Katie said. The two of us slowed down our speed and flew lower to the ground as we started to catch up.

"Bell and Lupin!" Madam Hooch shouted from the ground, "you need to focus on your speed!"

"You heard her," I said to Katie. "She wants speed."

Katie and I flew past every student in what felt like a matter of seconds before starting our second lap around. Nearly every eye turned to us. The path was clear so I leaned as far forward as I could without falling off. My speed built up and I was no longer flying side by side with Katie.

"Go Hailey!" Harry yelled from where he was floating, while watching.

Katie nearly caught up when a bludger flew past her, nearly knocking her in the side. Running away from the broom shed could be seen three figures in green robes. Madam Hooch ran off after the boys. Fred and George in one moment came flying onto the field with bats in hand. Some boys floating above the ground became over excited and took hold of the quaffle. Releasing it into the air a game of quidditch had nearly begun; all that was missing was the golden snitch.

Chaos ensued and amidst it all the snitch was released which started the single team game. Friends chose sides and we had started two small teams. Fred and George kept their positions as beaters. Katie, who was fine after her near hit with a bludger took her position as chaser. Harry took his place as seeker and flew around looking for the golden snitch. The only position that wasn't filled was keeper.

Oliver Wood was Gryffindor's quidditch team captain and keeper until he graduated last year, leaving the position empty. I flew across the pitch to guard our goalposts. Every quaffle thrown was blocked by my broom and the game went on until Harry caught the snitch. Everyone was sweaty and ready for a shower but were in high spirits.