the great hall

We pull to a scheduled stop at the train station, I get up and head for the door

"I'm going to find Avery before she gets off. I'll see you later!" I said.

"See you!" The three replied.

Avery and I exit the train together, followed by Neville. Hagrid is standing along the platform, holding a lantern and calling for all the first years to follow him.

"Avery, I'll see you after the sorting. Fingers crossed you'll be Gryffindor!" Neville said.

We board small boats and float across the still lake. Our school is towering high above us, overlooking the dark waters below. We dock at the bottom of the cliffs and walk up a stone path lined with lampposts which our way to the castles courtyard which we walked past and through the front doors.

"I have never been in a place as beautiful as this," I said while looking around in awe. "I can't believe this really is our school!"

We climb up several flight of stairs to be met by a stern faced woman at the top. She was wearing a witches hat adorned with a long feather, one like you'd see in a movie, she had a brooch pinned to her dress, and wore a long green robe.

"Welcome to Hogwarts! Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses."

Avery and I shared a glance. We had just heard Neville mention a sorting but there was no time for him to explain what it was.

"They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slythern."

The witch finished her speech about houses and everything to know of them. How you can benefit your house, or not. "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily."

There is a mixture of chatter as we are kept waiting for our directions.

"I hope we are both sorted in Gryffindor! From what my brother has said, it is the best house. Full of the most brave witches and wizards. All of us being together would be perfect!"

"I do like the color of their uniforms. And the lion is one of my favorite animals!"

"We're ready for you now, follow me."

We enter through two large doors and into the grandest room I imagine I'll ever see. The ceiling appears to of been bewitched to look like the evening sky, with thousands of candlesticks floating in the air. We are stepping rather quickly, making our way to the front of the hall. We pass by two long tables with benches on both sides where students are seated, staring as we pass by.

There are five tables in the room. Four filled with students and one at the head of the hall, where witches and wizards of various ages are seated. Hagrid was seated at the table, and also the man I had seen on the train. He looked very tired still but had a smile on his face.